Hello,

I replied earlier to Martha but Nancy's reply got me to think about the
advantage of posting to the list. So here it comes:

This is my fifth year of  running a middle school online book club,
Mustangs On Books. <http://www.asij.ac.jp/middle/lib/> (If you attended the
Exploratorium at the last AASL Conference in Kansas City you might have met
my colleague and tech guru Horace White who was there to show how the tech
side of it works.)

We read 4 or 5 books a year. I reserve the right to include one title from
a visiting author if we are having one that year. Otherwise, the kids
usually select the books from a ballot containing about 20 annotated
titles. I look at the circulation statistics to arrive at titles for the
ballot plus any hot new titles I think the students will like to discuss.
Write-is are fine, too. (Last year the students selected one of the
write-ins, The Hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy.)

About 40 students (out of a grades 6--8 population of 370) may be members
in a given year. However, not all 40 students participate in each book's
discussion. Sometimes  students just have too much going on. That's fine
with me. It gives others a chance.

Since we are a private school, we collect fines for overdue books. I use
some of the fine money for snacks, or pizza for this group. I also use fine
money to purchase a dozen or so paperback copies of the books to be
covered. (This fall we will start off the year with the new HP book; many
of our students will have read it this summer.)

I start the on-line discussion with a question and add questions for the
length of the discussion--about a month. IMHO, our successes occur when
students build on each others' comments about the books. Also, kids
certainly have enjoyed sharing lunch with our visiting authors--a special
treat for book club members who have participated in the discussion of the
visiting authors' books.

Best regards,

Martin Swist
mswist@asij.ac.jp