I told you all I was new at this!  I didn't know you could not attach a document in
the LISTSERV.

I appologize if you asked me to e-mail the attachment to you off line, but there
were so many this is the easiest way.  Thanks for understanding.

It was suggested that I break it up into three documents because it is so long.
Here it is:

Eva,

Try Learn NC, a site designed by UNC.  The website can be found at www.learnnc.org.
 Click on Standard Course of Study which can be found on the right hand column and
then look for information skills for the particular grade you want.  The archives
of LM_NET provide lots of good ideas for lessons, but not in lesson plan format.
Good luck!!

I think this site is very helpful-

http://hcps2.hanover.k12.va.us/instruction/media/LessonPlanBook.htm

Good luck!
Eileen

Hi Eva,

This is my first year, too, and I know exactly what you're talking about.  My
district has nicely defined media outcomes so that I at least know what I'm
supposed to cover but how to do it is left up to me!  A good resource for me has
been Carolyn Garner's Teaching Library Media Skills in Grades K-6. It lays out
library objectives for the year, with plans and reproducible activities (on CD-ROM)
to be used with the plans.  It cost $55 but the peace of mind has defnitely been
worth it as I try to get myself organized for the year.  I bought it for myself
from Amazon but you might see if your district has it or will purchase it for you.
The ISBN is 1-55570-464-6.

Good luck this year!

Becky Henderson, MLS
Gardner Elementary, Gardner, KS

http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/resources/infocurr/infolit.html

http://www.accessola.com/action/positions/info_studies/html/toc.html

http://www.accessola.com/action/positions/info_studies/

Go to
http://www.shambles.net/informationliteracy/
and click on the section
"Info Literacy and Assessment"

You'll find several options there.

California schools wanting to link their media education efforts to
state curriculum standards will find this document a useful tool.
http://www1.medialiteracy.com/documents/CalifStateStandards.pdf

To find standards that include media literacy for the 49 other states in
the U.S., visit:
http://medialit.med.sc.edu/statelit.htm

For professional development in media education (complete conference
program is now on the site):
National Media Education Conference, July 25-28, San Francisco
www.nmec.org

Shelf Marker Hokey Pokey
to the tune of "Hokey Pokey".

You put your shelf marker IN
You take the book OUT
You KEEP your shelf marker in
And you HOLD the book about
You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That=B9s what it=B9s all about!

You put the book back IN
You take the shelf marker Out
You put your shelf marker In
See what another book=B9s about
You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That=B9s what it=B9s all about!

(These first 2 stanzas are credited
to Marjorie Pettersen, from Torrington, CT.  her email is:
controller53@excite.com)

THIRD STANZA:

You take your book with you
You take your marker too
Wait your turn in line
For the computer to check you out
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all about!

This stanza is credited to Barb Engvall.  From Selah, Wa.  Her email is
macbarb@charter.net

Lisa Essa
Library Media Teacher
Hayward, Ca
lessa@husd.k12.ca.us

Robert Joyce reminded me that I'd forgotten to post this hit (Thanks,
Robert).  Here it is!

Best,
Toni

We use Power Point to teach many information technology and library skills
lessons.  We have no chalkboard or whiteboard, so the Destination computer
is the best display I have.  And a visual lesson helps focus the students,
so we use Power Point Jeopardy, Millionaire and slide shows to introduce
and reinforce lessons.

***
I have made a Power Point on using the Big 6.  I love using PP to introduce
skills.  Kids like to watch them --versus you talking in front of
them-----just so much more powerful.

***
I created a short, simple PP presentation to explain to my 2nd graders the
concepts of title, author, and subject.  Then I "shifted" our patron
catalog page onto the screen to show them how to use these terms to search
our catalog.

***
I use Powerpoint to introduce intro lit. concepts to 5-8th graders.  For
instance, I have a ppt presentation to introduce plagiarism and then we do
a project on paraphrasing, summarizing, etc.

This is followed, of course, by hands-on activities which are taught in a
computer lab.  I introduce most of my research skills lessons with a ppt
presentation, using imbedded links for websites I want to show the kids.  I
have ppt's on Presentation Skills, Search Strategies, Reference Resources,
and Evaluation of Sources.  I don't spend a lot of time "jazzing up" the
ppt's - I just use them as a tool to easily screen the main points of the
lesson and provide easy links to important sites.

***

Since purchasing an lcd projector this past year, both the guidance counselor
and myself are trying to use more PowerPoint shows.  We are a mostly low-
income school, so many of our students are not familiar with the program.  I
prepared a slideshow to use when presenting the Big6 method to my 4th and 5th
grade students this year, and it went very well.  Hopefully, I'll be able to
incorporate more next year.

***
Try the page at
<http://www.shambles.net/informationliteracy/>http://www.shambles.net/informationliteracy/

click on the
"<http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/infolitlp/>Teaching Info
Literacy" subheading

Hi,
Take a look at http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/7869.asp

Bene e  Pace (Blessings and Peace),

Paula Laurita

-----------------
How do I start developing lesson plans for next year?
I feel unsure where to start. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

While the question was a two-parter, the bulk of the
the responses as follows:

--Get into the library during the summer to get to
know the collection.
--Meet with teachers to see what their curriculum
plans are for the year (Lang Arts, Science and Social
Studies) and to find out what their specific needs
are. Try to integrate what you are doing in the
library with what is being taught in the classroom as
much as possible.
--Use the curriculum as a guide, but make decisions
based on what the kids now know and what you want them
to learn.
--Start out the year with lessons on library
orientation, procedures and book care.
--Plan the year using a long range plan (using a
spreadsheet or other organizational device, with
grades across the top in columns and the months along
the side in rows) which can be modified as the year
progresses.
--Plan lessons in units or on themes. Units can
include author studies, library location skills, using

--Many schools do mostly literature awareness in
grades K-3, with a gradual introduction of skills in
grade 3, to mostly skills in grades 4-5.

Websites for lesson plans:

http://hcps2.hanover.k12.va.us/instruction/media/
(click on the red book)

http://mte.anacortes.k12.wa.us/library/lesson.htm (one
librarian's year-long plan)

http://oakland.dpsk12.org/stories/storyReader$54
(another year-long plan)

http://www.learnnc.org/learnnc/lessonp.nsf/homepage?openform
(lessons under the heading information skills)

http://www.libraries.phila.k12.pa.us/lion/lessons.html
(a compendium of library lesson sources)

Heather Rider
Librarian
Smithfield Elementary
Charlotte, NC
heatherfeather_@yahoo.com

Eva,

I find Judy Freeman's Books Kids Will Sit Still For books to be extremely
helpful.  The 1995 version (More Books...) is especially helpful because it
includes Curriculum by grade - Information Management Skills and Literature
Skills - and as you read through the beginning of the book - you will see
other lessons that you can fit into particular grades. It is also great to
have some tested read-alouds.

I am very much looking forward to her new book which will be out this
winter.

I used Phyllis Perry's books.

Read a chapter a week and do a lesson on the related
library skills.

http://home.att.net/~phyllisperry/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html
http://www.coloradoauthors.org/resourcesforteachers.htm

Eva,
    I have a complete set of lesson plans for grades K-5, geared for 30
minute library periods weekly.  Down below I have pasted some samples of the
curriculum.  Obviously, some of it doesn't make sense without the curriculum
sheets, lesson sheets, etc.  However, it should give you a flavor for the
types of things we do at different grade levels.  If you are interested in
seeing more, or in having some of the curriculum sheets, write me off list.
I am always willing to share.
                                            Linda Lucke

Skills Activities List

Grade 1

Activity One - Everything You Need to Know

This is an introductory library session, in which library behavior, check
out procedures, book care and program information are reviewed. Anything new
for the year is introduced and explained at this time.

Activity Two - The Grand Tour

This session is an introduction to the library, with an explanation and tour
of the different Learning Center areas, such as easy books, fiction books,
magazine area, computer area, charge desk, etc.

Activity Three - Birthday Book Day

After reading stories relating to birthdays, the birthday book program is
explained, and the procedures reviewed. Students are encouraged to
participate, and the special book plate and presentation ceremony in the
classroom is demonstrated.

Activity Four - The Egg Hunt

This activity provides review and practice for students learning their way
around the Learning Center. Students draw paper eggs from a pile and must
locate the item or place listed on the egg. Items to locate include the
pencil sharpener, the paperback bins, the charge desk, etc.

Activity Five - ABC Cards

This activity provides review and practice in letter recogniton and
alphabetical ordering skills. Students are given a card, and asked to
arrange themselves in order, or to locate the books that match their card.

Activity Six - Book Words Skill Sheet

This activity provides review in book terms word recognition skills.

Activity Seven - Book Title Game

This activity encourages review and recall of the books read during the
year. A picture of the book or a main character is displayed, and students
participate in a contest to see how many of the books they can name.

Weekly Books/Skills List - Grade 1

      Books
     Clarke
     Katterjohn