Dear Michelle,

iEARN could be a great resource for you (www.iearn.org).  Their entire
focus is on creating online collaborative learning environments.  There is
a fee for this service ($100/teacher or $280/school), but you can see the
types of projects they have available and see if it's right for you before
you sign up.

We are building an online adventure learning program that will provide
students opportunities to work collaboratively on health and wellness -
and cultural issues.  Students will have opportunities to vote, post their
reasoning and help develop a "formula" for healthy aging.  The online
content and curriculum guide are free.  (Go to www.bluezones.com.)

Global Schoolhouse (www.globalschoolnet.org) also provides access to
online collaborative learning projects.  I know that you can access some
of the materials for free and that there is a bigger, better offering for
a $40 membership, but I'm afraid I don't know the details of what is
involved.

I've also seen educators create profiles on ePALS requesting a partner
class for a very specific purpose.  A rural Iowa classroom wanting to
connect with a school in a European city for a comparative Geography
project.  (www.epals.com)  This is a free service.

Hope that helps!

Good luck.

Sarah Kast