This information first appeared in the news about 6 months ago in Texas.  I
believe a reply has already been posted in answer to the claim of "getting
rid of" books.

A much scarier thing is happening in Texas than UT relocating 90,000
volumes. The governor has "decreed" (like a king) that 65% of the school
budget must be spent on classroom activities such as teacher salaries and
materials. At first glance this may sound like a good thing...read on.

This new law includes after school extracurricular activities such as
football and band, but *excludes" libraries!

Other states are considering this idea.  An article in today's Austin
American-Statesman newspaper, says that this is an attempt to divide
administration and teachers and get more people to  vote for vouchers and
charter schools.

Not only are these politicians trying to kill off public education, they
obviously don't know that libraries are closely tied to student achievement
and classroom learning.

Now this is something to get upset about. I hope this information also makes
it to the national newspapers.

Lorraine Smith MLS, MEd.
Librarian
Lake Pointe Elementary, Lake Travis ISD