The idea came from Patrick Byrne. His site
<http://www.firstclasseducation.org/> shows 'waste' with examples like
"...Thousands of dollars in federal funds intended to assist poor D.C.
schoolchildren _appear_ to have been spent instead by school
administrators on retreats and unapproved travel...." citing a
Washington Times article. (emphasis mine). Maybe an Arizona member can
discuss the referendum.

George Will, sure that the initiative will sweep the union, says, "His
idea -- call it the 65 Percent Solution -- is politically delicious
because it unites parents, taxpayers and teachers while, he hopes,
sowing dissension in the ranks of the teachers unions, which he
considers the principal institutional impediment to improving primary
and secondary education." And at the same time, notes that it may have
no effect on quality of learning
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38726-2005Apr8.html>
(reg may be required, or look up in database) (oddly, look at that
column, then check http://www.battlecry-ca.com/article.php?aid=1904, I
think one strongly influenced the other).  There is also a  good
discussion at
<http://www.kaet.asu.edu/horizon/transcripts/2005/april/apr7_2005.htm>

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA