So here's the much requested hit.  None of these was exactly what I
remember but all together the ideas helped me get my Dewey jars plan.
Many thanks to Sally Bub, Sally Mundy and Judy Evans.  Here is the
original question:

Some time ago (years?) someone posted a description of teaching children
about the numbers (nonfiction) with objects, such as a measuring cup for
641, a dinosaur for 567, crayons for drawing book, etc.  I've been
collecting the objects but have lost the ways they were used.  Does
anyone remember this?  Does someone reading this do something like it?

And here are the answers:

I gathered of assorted objects I had around the house that could be
related to a Dewey area (deer antler, fish food can, plastic train,
kachina doll, ceramic cat, baseball glove, etc.) and placed them in a
box.  Next, I had groups of four or so students select an item and use
the electronic card catalog to locate where each object would go if it were
a book.  (I demonstrated the process with an elf-like figurine going
to 398.2 and
then left them to do it with minimal assistance after that.)  Each group
placed the object on the shelf above the appropriate area and explained
to me the reason why.  (The location selections were very diverse even
for identical items placed by different classes..)  The fifth graders in
particular loved this activity and were excited to do more after their
group was finished.

I put together a collection of objects that could be placed in one of
the Dewey sections and place in a basket. (sea shell, rock, dinosaur,
stuffed dog, ball, magnet, elf, etc.) I will begin by handing out
"Clue sheets" of the 10 Dewey Sections.  Briefly discuss the
organization of the library by Dewey.  Prompt the kids to use their
clue sheets and the library signage.  Hand out the objects. Students
will place their objects on or near the shelf where they would be if
they were a book.  For example the elf might go in 398.2 Fairy Tales.
When all objects have been placed, sit in a circle and have each
student retrieve their object and explain why they placed it where
they did.  There may be more than one correct placement, so go by
what the kids say -they're usually right once they have a chance to
explain their logic.

I read a suggestion - I think on LM_NET a while back - which sounded
interesting.  The librarian filled a basket with a variety of items,
like a tennis ball, a rock, a stuffed animal, an airplane, a dinosaur,
etc.  Gave the students a break down of Dewey, and as she pulled things
from the basket asked them to classify them by Dewey number.

I teach the more common Dewey numbers using a grab bag full of
objects.  The kids draw the objects outand tell me the numbers that
go with them.  I start out with signs with
the numbers on them on a counter top and they place the object with the
corresponding sign.  Then, we move on to placing the object on the
correct place on or above the shelf where those books are located.  It's
a great learning activity and they begin to associate the numbers with
the subjects.  I begin with subjects that they are already checking out
and are familiar with.  I give a pretest and a posttest each time we do
it and it's amazing how much better they do each time!
I also have a beachball divided up into sections with a common Dewey
number in each section.  I toss it out and the student who catches it
has to tell me the subject that goes with the number his right thumb is
on.  If he knows, he gets a jolly rancher.  : )  Really keeps the kids
engaged.

Hand out charts and divide students into equally sized groups (number
depends on the number of Dewey boxes you have), one at a table.
Explain the exercise: Students will lay out the Dewey category cards
in each box in numerical order starting with the 0 hundreds. Next
they will sort the items in the boxes into the various subject
categories by placing the items in front of the subject category card
it belongs to.
Globe (keychain)
Unicorn
Cross
Treasure map
Sign language alphabet
Horse
Tree
Snake
Paint brush
Bear
Measuring cup
Dinosaur
Floppy disk
Football
Insect
Poem
Sports card
Kaleidoscope
Soldier
Word card
Trivia card
Joke/riddle page

Here's what I'm doing:  I'm collecting some clear plastic jars (with
the help of the cooks in the school kitchen) and collecting things,
mostly miniatures, to put in them for each 100 group.  Since I've
been collecting miniatures since my childhood, I am depending heavily
on those.  There are some areas that stump me.  I know I used to have
a miniature dictionary for the 400s, but if I can't find it.

Here's what I used that you might be able to find: a toy alien
(green), magnifying glass, toy soldiers and astronauts, some water
color tablets, a tiny trumpet that came from my Christmas tree
decorations, a quartz crystal, shells and rocks, small pack of cards
(700), a magnet, raided the magnets on my fridge and got a little
blender, piece of AAA map (900), a key chain sneaker, small ruler
(500), a valentine sticker.  You shouldn't have trouble with animals
and things with motors and wheels.

Have fun and share your discoveries in the process with all of us.

Johanna

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)