***********************
This message has been scanned for viruses by the InterScan Messaging Security Suite.

-HPS Technology
***********-***********

Colleagues:

It's the last day before winter break and I'll be spending it in
traditional fashion: acting as an accessory to a federal crime.

Yes, friends, nothing imparts that holiday glow quite like the teeny
thrill of naughtiness and the lingering sense of guilt that comes with
being part of a willful breach of copyright guidelines.

Bust out the eggnog and pass the DVDs!

Oh, come now You know what I'm talking about: The holiday film festival.
Isn't it pretty much de rigueur in every school on that last day before
break? I know I've been asked to do it every year since entering the
profession and, though I always, gently, point out that it's actually
naughty, not nice, to bend copyright law, teachers and administrators
alike always simply nudge me toward the play button with a wink and a
nod.

Ah well, it's for the kids...

This year's line up is pretty hot, too: Our library will be hosting a
gathering of about a hundred kids who'll grab some popcorn and get cozy
in our Kiva area (I installed a dedicated presentation system complete
with gut-rumbling cinema sound a few years back) and be treated to a big
screen showing of "Christmas with the Kranks." By bypassing any pesky
admission or rental fees, we'll be stealing bread off the tables of Tim
Allen, Jamie Lee Curtis and the hundreds of other artists and
tradespeople responsible for the production and distribution of the
show.

But that's not all:

For those who can't make it down to the library, I'll be pumping out
"Madagascar" on our schools in-house TV distribution system. You heard
me right! The just-released on DVD blockbuster will be available in
every classroom in the house!

Now that I've shared my dirty little secret, tell me yours. Does your
school system do this too? Are you and I part of what is perhaps the
most overlooked mass act of civil disobedience in the nation? Are you
doing it right now? Do you feel badly about it or do you kinda like it?
Do you ever bring the nasty realities of the matter up to faculty and
administration? Do any of you work in a district that has actually taken
steps to arrest this sort of practice?

Tell me about it. I wanna know. And, if you tell me, I promise, I'll
write you right back. The library's pretty much closed anyway.

We're watching movies!!!

Happy Holidays!

Jeffrey Hastings
School Librarian, possible Federal Felon,
Highlander Way Middle School
Howell, Michigan

hastingj@howellschools.com

http://www.howellschools.com/~hwmedia/content/library.html

LEGAL NOTICE:
the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action
in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.