I chose to use the week before Christmas as a time to introduce students to The
Polar Express (Yes, we had kids who had not heard it.) and to show them the second
DVD disc that shows how the book became the movie. I pointed out the similarities
between the illustrations and the book and generally delighted in the both the book
and the movie without just sitting them in front of the TV. I projected it onto the
projector screen and we all had a great time learning about the story and computer
animation. If you did not buy the two-disc version of The Polar Express, it is
worth it for the segments on how the movie is made. I find it fascinating and so
did my students. I'm not an expert on copyright but since I didn't show the actual
movie and I tied it to my lesson, I think I'm okay.
  By the way, the principal at my school actually buys videos to be shown to the
students with or without lessons for track-off days. For those of you unfamiliar
with year-round school, we have one minimum day per month when 1/4 of the classes
are going off for about a month and 1/4 of the teachers are preparing their rooms
to come back the next day. To allow rooms to be prepped at our school the students
whose teachers are going off track send their students to other classes so that the
teacher can pack her things up. Alot of videos are shown on these days and it's
once a month. What do other year-round schools do to keep learning going on
track-off days. I see so much educational time being wasted and there must be
better alternatives. Any ideas would be appreciated and shared.
  Dana Stemig
  K-6 LMT
  Modesto City Schools District
  Modesto CA