     My understanding of the Caldecott Award is that
it is NOT given to the best picture book of the year,
but the one whose illustrations are the most
distinguished of the year.  Something about it sets it
apart from the other pictures books of the year.  I
too wish that the Caldecott committee would give the
reasons for their selections.  I have questioned some
of their past decisions.  I have to admit that this
year was not one of them.  I collect possible winners
for my mock caldecott unit all year and Henkes' book
is one that I picked up last spring as a good prospect
for winning.
     In showing it my students (grades K-5), without
them knowing that it is the winner, I have gotten some
very interesting responses from them.  Students in all
grades have empathized with this kitten - the
illustrations have evoked sympathetic groans,
laughter, and anticipation.  It is true that most of
the older students don't like the simpler lines, but
many students in all grades liked that it was in black
& white (one astute observer thought it was in B&W
because it took place at night and you can't see much
color then), and I had several students like how some
of the pages had panels which showed more action than
a single picture could (I promise I didn't prompt that
response at all).
     Anyway, that is my contribution to this
discussion.  It is always interesting how differently
people can see the same thing.  I will look forward to
reading other viewpoints on this book.

Kaline Goodrich, LMS
Hermon Elem. & Middle Schools
Hermon, ME
kaline369@yahoo.com

--- Karen DeFrank <knarfed@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

> I've been to Barnes & Noble and read both Kevin
> Henkes Kitten book (this year's Caldecott winner)
> and Mo Willems' Knuffle Bunny.
>
> I need to know why the Kitten book won. The story
> seems too simple, the pictures are dull..... makes
> it hard to explain to my students that the Henkes
> book was judged to have the BEST pictures out of all
> the brand new books. the story is very similar to
> Frank Ashe's Moon Bear.
>
> Perhaps the Caldecott isn't for the Best picture
> book of the year. ??
>
> What are your thoughts? Please post them to the list
> so we can have a discussion.
>
> Karen DeFrank, LMS
> Bullock School
> Glassboro NJ
> knarfed at comcast dot net

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2)
> SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow
> for confirmation.
> LM_NET Help & Information:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select:
> http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
> LM_NET Supporters:
> http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

=====
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.   - Unknown

http://my.yahoo.com