I personally think that it is a leftover from the 19th Century and has
no real place in todays education and society.  It can be studied as an
artistic form along with calligraphy, but is a great waist of time in
the curriculum.  I remember feeling liberated when an English teacher in
Jr. High 'allowed' me to no longer use it, I could focus on expressing
myself as opposed to stressing out over the perfection of my letter
formation.  With the focus on using the computer, usually the only time
one comes across cursive is in personal letters with older people and
reading Babar books.

Just my opinion on the topic,
Susan O'Neal
LMIT Student