I have just re-read Garcia Marquez' Love in the  Time of Cholera to present
to an adult reading group. It had been  several years, and I had forgotten how
much sex is in that book. It's one thing  to read it for one's own pleasure,
but quite another to discuss it with a group!  The protagonist has over 600
relationships over the course of about 50 years  while waiting for the love of
his life, and the second-to-last relationship is  with a 14-year-old girl when
he is in his mid 70s.

It is one of my all-time favorite books, but I don't think even my very
liberated high school senior daughter would be ready for it. I would not
recommend this book for high school students. To adults, though, read  on. My group
is
doing it for Valentine's Day. The thought that a man  would wait 50 years for
a woman is astounding.

julie dahlhauser
Librarian, Anderson Early Childhood Center
Brownsville, TN

_JulDahl@aol.com_ (mailto:JulDahl@aol.com)
_dahlhauserj@k12tn.net_ (mailto:dahlhauserj@k12tn.net)