Greetings:

Thank you for all the ideas and great recommendations.  I'll
pass them on to the English teacher, along with the reviews.

This group is great!

Here is the HIT, as several people requested.  If more ideas
come in over the next few days, I'll add a part 2.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim O'Shaughnessy
Library / Media Center
Moline High School
Moline, IL.
toshaugh@molineschools.org
"Show me a computer expert that gives a damn, and I'll show
you a
librarian."     Patricia Wilson Berger. (Quoted in Chicago
Tribune article, 29 June 1990, Tempo section, p. 1)

I have enjoyed Oscar Casares's Brownsville Stories.  It was
an ALA notable book.  It is a collection of short stories
about a community of Mexican-Americans living on the Texas
border.

Another suggestion may be something by Gabriel
Garcia-Marquez (sp?).

------------------

_Bless Me, Ultima_ by Rudolfo Anaya is taught in a number of
high schools,

and has won endorsement by the National Council of Social
Studies as a

worthy novel (which is probably why it's also been the
object of challenges,

sigh).  Or how about anything by Isabel Allende, or Gabriel
Garcia Marquez?

---------

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

---------

You might try something by George Amado, a Brazilian.  His
work can be found in English.

--------------

House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. Our students loved
it when the

teacher taught it as a class novel.  Another book is In the
Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez.

-------

What about Isabel Allende's Daughter of Fortune? I read it
several years

ago and really enjoyed it. I've also read Portrait in Sepia,
but it has one

pretty racy scene that might not go over well in your group.
She's a

Chilian writer who's pretty acclaimed as a writer. I think
she may live in

the US now.

---------

Anything by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez. I have had AP kids read
both One

Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera.

Bless me Ultima - Rudolfo Anaya

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accent - Julia Alverez

House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros

These are all critically acclaimed and very awarded.

---------

One Hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
might be a good

choice.

--------

How about "In the time of the Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez?
It is the story of upper class female revolutionaries in the
Dominican Republic and is not so long and introspective as
my other favorite Latin American novel, Gabriel
Garcia-Marquez' "One Hundred Years of Solitude."

--------

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez is
wonderful. It takes

place in the Dominican Republic in the 1950s-1960s and is
historical

fiction about the Mirabal sisters who were killed during
Trujillo's

dictatorship for their role in the opposition. There's a
movie (rated

PG-13 I think) based on the book that came out in 2001 also.
Gabriel

Garcia Marquez is always great, as is Isabel Allende (House
of Spirits).

Good luck!

--------

Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (a
classic)

actually anything by him would be fine.

------

How abour something by Julia Alvarez, either In the Time of
the

Butterflies or In the Name of Salome. Both are historical
novels that

deal with figures from Dominican history. Both are well
written and good

reads.

-------

What about House of Scorpion by Nancy Farmer?

------------

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez _Barnes &
Noble.com - In

the Time of the Butterflies_

(<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.as
p?userid=bsq15Su1gL&isbn=0452274427&itm=1>) The novel takes
place in

the Dominican Republic, is this considered Latin American? I
enjoyed this one

and she has written others.

My daughter, a junior in an excellent private high school,
was assigned

"Love in the time of cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and
thoroughly

enjoyed it. There is also a reader's guide available.

--------