Here's a hit of the suggestions I received.  I'm going
to get together with our Tech Guy and figure out which
will work best for our solution.
VAN
-----
I had the same trouble as our policy states no chat
rooms.  What I did was went into the control panel
from the start menu, clicked on add/remove
programs, then add/remove windows components.  Options
will come up, click on the last one which is windows
messenger.  It states underneath the
box that this will remove access to windows messenger
from the start menu.  Some kids are smart enough to
just put it back on the computer, but
I put a sign on the monitor threatening them with
their life if they put it back on, no just kidding.
This seems to have helped though.
-----
If you don't find it possible to shut off Messenger (I
don't know if you can) you might be able to close down
the ports that messenger uses on your
router. I don't know how to do that either - but I do
know it is possible because our Tech guys have done
it.
-----
There is a way to uninstall Windows Messenger.
See: http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak2089.aspx
-----
Yes. You can either go through the steps to disable it
manually:
http://power.ece.uiuc.edu/sysadmin/NoMessenger.htm

or install Steve Gibson's "Shoot the Messenger"
(deletes Windows Messenger) applet:
http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm
-----
   You probably have already had your question
answered, but I'll share the little I know anyway.
   Messenger can be disabled from Internet Explorer.
Open Explorer.  Click the TOOLS menu.  Click the
PROGRAMS tab.  Click the Manage Add-Ons button.
Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Windows
Messenger.  Click Disabled and restart.
   That's one way.   I'm thinking that didn't work for
me, because now I delete the icon from the tool bar at
the bottom of the desktop, then open Add/Remove
programs from the Control Panels and remove the
program completely.  I get a message that says I may
be throwing away files needed to operate other
programs.  I ignore it and throw it away
anyway.  Haven't had any problems.  If I don't remove
the icon on the tool bar, it won't let me throw the
program away.  You will have to have administrative
privileges to delete it.
-----
If you're just using Windows XP Pro (and maybe Home,
I'm not sure) there are a couple different ways to get
rid of it.  If you go into the Control Panel, then
into Add or Remove Programs along the left side
there are several buttons.

Here are two different ways.  (You should perform
these logged into Administrator)

1. This Method removes Messenger from the Start Menu,
so they can't get to it.
*Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
*A window will pop up with components you can remove.
*At the very bottom of the list, Windows Messenger
should be there.
*Uncheck the box next to Windows Messenger, then click
Next at the bottom.
*Then wait for the setup to run through and click
finish.

2.  This should disable access to the Messenger
program, but I'm not sure how it works if you're using
something else.
*Along the same left hand menu of Add or Remove
Programs, click Set Program Access and Defaults.
*Click on the down arrows to the far right that
correspond with the Custom option.  Then scroll down
to Messenger and uncheck the box next to "Enable
Access."
-----

=====
Diane Van Gorden, Librarian