Originally posted to: <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> :
>Does anyone know of a good online resource that explains the
>...basic...function of the...government... departments in fairly
>easy terms?

There are, as you know, many sites, especially designed for kids,
which explain what different departments of the government are tasked
to do. While each site varies in complexity, here are some of my
favorites:

(1) www.bensguide.gpo.gov/
[Partly because Benjamin Franklin is my #1 answer to the ice-breaker question:]
"If you could invite to a dinner party, 11 other people, besides
yourself, living or dead, real or imaginary (i.e. Smokey the Bear)
who would they be?" (I'd love to read your lists, Please do send me
them, though off-list!)

(2) 1st Gov for kids... www.kids.gov/   Grouped by Subject.
See "Government"  (also at http://www.kids.gov/k_gov.htm )  for a
whole long list of sites, all kid based, including those for:

* (Treasures at) The Library of Congress:
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/
* House of Rep: http://www.house.gov/house/Legproc.shtml
* CIA: http://www.odci.gov/cia/ciakids/
* Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms (and Explosives) a.k.a. ATF:
        http://www.atf.gov/kids/index.htm
* The Smithsonian: http://www.si.edu/kids/
* "SOCIAL SECURITY KIDS STUFF" (Yes, that's what they said!) (With a
co-title of:
"Social Security is you [sic] piggy bank for the future."
www.ssa.gov/kids/kids.htm
The first line of their site says: "Social Security helps people help
themselves! "
* Department of State: http://www.future.state.gov/
* Patent and Trademark Office: http://www.uspto.gov/go/kids/
* USDA: http://www.usda.gov/news/usdakids/index.html

Each of these homepages has a paragraph or more about what they do.

BTW, [First Gov for Adults,] the Government's official WebPage is @:
www.firstgov.gov

Many of the Departments have their own pages with a part dedicated to
kids, i.e.:

(3) Treasury: www.treas.gov/kids/  (includes their subsites, such as
The Mint & Bureau of Engraving, which if you haven't seen BofE during
your trip to D.C. it's fascinating, for young and old alike!) (I'll
happily send a longer list of my favorite sites ---and must-sees---
if you e-mail me off-list :)

(4) www.fema.gov/kids/index.htm

(5) Justice: www.usdoj.gov/kidspage/
(For whom I arbitrated ADA Americans With Disabilities Act and
Service Animal cases...see any state's copy of The Tour Book put out
by the AAA (Automobile Club.)
at the DOJ section, disability for kids:
http://www.usdoj.gov/kidspage/crt/disable.htm

(6) The White House: www.whitehouse.gov/kids/
Today's W.H. Home page introduces the Kids to The WH Dog, Barney and
his new sibling (and fellow dog!) Miss Beazley.

And #2 on my ice-breaker dinner party list is Thomas Jefferson. While
it doesn't seem to have a kids page (there are ones, at other sites
for the House and the WH) my favorite to keep up with all the Bills
Congress works on and/or passes (especially library legislation) is:

http://thomas.loc.gov/  (note, DO NOT add the usual www.)
This is where lists of bills' co-sponsors are, committee leg changes,
bill hearing dates, every word of each bill and proposed bill,  votes
are recorded & much, much more.
They also have "interesting items" noted on the home page, which they
change periodically. This year's appropriations are presently listed
on the home page.
BTW, if you put in the usual www. with thomas. (and no loc.gov) you
will get thomas brothers (the map people!)

Well, that should be a good map (ugh!) to steer you (groan) in the
right direction (groan, groan!)

Enjoy,

Best wishes,

Jane

Jane Lowenthal
Library of California Board

                                THE LOWENTHAL GROUP
                Arbitration, Mediation, Conflict Management Services
                        & Conflict Resolution Training
                    Los Angeles, California USA 91326-1607
                  Phone:(818) 366-5009  * Fax: (818) 360-1929  *
                             e-mail:mediator@lafn.org