Original Post:
Our Guideance Counselor has asked for a fiction book for 1st grade on
perseverance.  She usually reads "The Little Engine That Could" but was
looking for something new.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
Brave Irene by William Steig
D.W. Flips by Marc Brown
Franklin Rides a Bike by Paulette Bourgeois
Little Red Hen
The Hare and the Tortoise
Max by Bob Graham
Brave Irene by William Steig
The Empty Pot  by Demi
If at first ... / by Sandra Boynton
Mailbox magic / Nancy Poydar
Unsinkable! / written by Larry Dane Brimner
Where's my daddy? : perseverance / adapted from a story by Shigeo Watanabe
------------------------
If you can locate - CHARACTER EDUCATION: A GUIDE FOR TEACHERS,
LIBRARIANS, AND PARENTS (libraries Unlimited)  there will be several
titles listed for each of 17 traits.  Perseverance is one of the
traits.
For more information go to http://www.mcelmeel.com/writing/page_res.html
-----------------------------
You may want to try "Mole Music" by David McPhail.  Feeling that something
is missing in his simple life, Mole acquires a violin and has to perservere
to learn how to make beautiful, joyful music
------------------------------
My elem. school has perseverance as a theme this year.
 We spotlight a book a month.  So far we've used
Seabiscuit (Step into reading), Thank you Sarah (about
the woman who got Thanksgiving as a holiday), Little
Engine That Could( of course) and are thinking of
using The Story of Ruby Bridges.

A visiting illustrator knew our theme and worked with
the tortoise and the hare.
--------------------------------------
In Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon she keeps on believing in herself despite the
fact that a bully keeps trying to bother here.
I have copied/pasted books that I have in my collection that were listed in
my character education guide.

398.2 BRO (PB)
           Brown, Marcia.  Stone soup : an old tale (PB).  1st Aladdin Books
                ed.  New York : Aladdin Books, 1986.  When three hungry
                soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden,
                they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the
                town enjoys a feast.
808.8 CHI
           The children's book of virtues.  New York : Simon & Schuster,
                c1995.  Courage, perseverance -- Responsibility, work,
                self-discipline -- Compassion, faith -- Honesty, loyalty,
                friendship.  A collection of stories and poems presented to
                teach virtues, including compassion, courage, honesty,
                friendship, and faith.
E BLU
           Blume, Judy.  The one in the middle is the green kangaroo.
                Scarsdale, N.Y. : Bradbury Press, c1991.  Freddy hates being
                the middle one in the family until he gets a part in the
                school play.
E BRO
           Brown, Marc Tolon.  D.W. flips.  1st ed.  Boston : Little, Brown,
                c1987.  D.W., a young aardvark, discovers that lots of
                practice eventually helps her master the new routine in her
                gymnastics class.
E COS
           Cosgrove, Stephen.  Dragolin.  1st rev. ed.  Los Angeles : Price
                Stern Sloan, c1995.  Short, plump, and unable to breathe
                fire like the other dragons, Dragolin is in despair until he
                learns the importance of believing in oneself.
E HAL
           Hall, Donald.  Ox-cart man.  1st ed.  New York : Viking Press,
                1979.  Describes the day-to-day life throughout the changing
                seasons of an early 19th-century New England family.
E PIP
           Piper, Watty.  The Little Engine That Could.  New York : Platt &
                Munk, 1976.
E POS
           Poskanzer, Susan Cornell.  Little raccoon who could.  Mahwah,
                N.J. : Troll Associates, c1986.  Wally Raccoon worries about
                making his first trip to school alone as he examines all the
                possible pitfalls.
------------------------------
 just used Muncha, Muncha, Muncha by  Candace Fleming.  Both the Mr.
Greely and the bunnies persevere in this story.

I have also used Good Night, Good Knight for this topic.
I like Ella Sarah Gets Dressed by Margaret Chodos-Irvine and My Very own
Room by Amanda Irma Perez.
Our school uses various character traits and I have a
list of books for perseverance at
http://www.monet.k12.ca.us/tuolumne/perseverance.html

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Susan Hanlon