on 1/7/05 12:44 PM, Mark Williams at markwilliams@MAKAW.NET wrote:

>SNIP<
> It almost seems that Mr. Wilder is subtly advocating an acceptance of the
> view that information should simply be made available on demand with no
> effort, that the librarian should simply hand the answer to a question to
> the student instead of teaching the student how to find the answers.
>
>SNIP<

My first "General Reference Sources" class was taught by a professor who
told us that "the proper reference service, to which every patron has a
right, consists of a thorough reference interview to determine what the
patron needs, demonstration of our search technique as we look up the
information, lead the patron to the section in the shelves, pull the book
from the shelf, open it to the page, and hand it to the patron."  The words
are mine, but I use quotes because that is the exact process he told us was
supposed to happen each time.  The teacher in me obviously rebelled that a
number of my assignments, given to students for the purpose on including
finding the information as a learning goal, would be totally undermined by
that kind of service.  Obviously, Mr. Wilder is not alone in his opinion
that information on demand is always desirable.  I respectfully disagree.
--
Gail Smith, NBCT
Librarian & Tech Facilitator