Hi everyone.  I would love to have the benefit of your collective wisdom.  I have
been asked to purchase between 5 and 10 class sets of books for 5th and 6th grades,
and perhaps, one set for 4th grade.  The titles that I have thought of as
appropriate include The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo, The Hero and the
Crown by Robin McKinley, The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket, and Over Sea,Under
Stone by Susan Cooper,

I would like to select a variety of types--some that are literary must-haves and
some that are good reading and just plain enjoyable.  We already have Indian in the
Cupboard, Summer of the Swans, My Side of the Mountain, Roll of Thunder Hear My
Cry, Secret of Nimh, Best Christmas Pageant, and the Westing Game (not a lot, I
know.)

I am looking into:
1.  Egyptology by Emily Sands
2.  Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
3.  Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett
4.  Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
5.  Holes by Louis Sachar
6.  Escape to the Forest by Ruth Yaffe Radin
7.  Keeping Room by Anna Myers
8.  Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff
9.  A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
10.  Stopping to Home by Lea Wait
11.  A Blizzard Year by Kate Kiesler
12.  The Other Side of Truth by Beverly Naidoo
13.  Nothing Wrong with a Three Legged Dog by Graham McNamee

I would love any recommendations on other titles you feel essential for these
grades or any reservations or feedback about any of the titles on my list.

Thanks for all your help--you are all wonderful!

I will post a hit if anyone would like for me to.

Vicki Nelson:-)