Our state English Language Arts curriculum frameworks has mandated that 5th
grade students are "introduced" to short stories.  Several 5th grade
teachers have asked me if short stories are a "genre" (ie--are there
specific 'teaching points' for a short story?)  What do you think?

Even if short stories aren't  a "genre," does anyone have some ideas about
how to approach/teach this kind of fiction?!?

P.S. We have several wonderful books of short stories including Johanna
Hurwitz' Birthday Surprises, Jerry Spinelli's The Library Card, many by Tim
Wynne-Jones, and E. L. Konigsburg and I'm excited about the opportunity to
explore this literature.

Laurie Woodfin
Neary School
Southborough, MA  01772