A while back, I asked people for suggestions for a book club for teens. My
criteria were it had to:
be interesting to both boys and girls
cover a topic of importance to teens
be available in paperback

We ended up reading Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn for the first
meeting.  It was an unqualified success! Next, everyone will be reading
Anderson's Speak.

I think our third and fourth books will be Shattering Glass by Gail Giles
and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult -- this book is coming out in
paperback next month.

Below, in no particular order, are the suggestions people were kind enough
to send on:

"Whale Talk" by Chris Crutcher, (mentioned 2x)
Shattering Glass (Giles, Gail)  , (mentioned 2x)

Mark Haddon's 'The curious incident of the dog in the night-time'
Fat Kid Rules the World
anything by Chris Crutcher
"Bleachers" by John Grisham.
America : a novel (Frank, ER)
Like Water For Chocolate
Secret Life Of Bees
Life Of Pi
My Life In Dog Years (Easy Read But Everyone Loves It)
Into Thin Air
Krik Krak
Lucas
String In The Harp
Perks of Being a Wallflower
novels in poetry that have been written by Mel Glenn.
Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike
the graphic novel, Pedro and Me  by Judd Winick.
 "The 5 people you meet in heaven" by Albom.
Driver's Ed (.. easy read with a message).
The House of the Scorpion by Farmer.
Mr. Was by Hautman
Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman (if they like the Sopranos they will like
this)
Touching Spirit Bear  by Ben Mikalsen(an easy read and a powerful story)
The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick
The Dark Side of Nowhere by Shusterman

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
Bayard Rustin HS for the Humanities
351 W. 18th Street