What about having students who cite Wikipedia also include a back-up
citation from another source. So that if they researched a topic on
Wikipedia, they also had to verify info against another source. If they
find two completely opposite viewpoints or facts, they can then, check
it against a third source. I used to be a 'fact checker' for a
publishing company and we had to verify against 3 reputable sources.
I've had kids run up against two sources with conflicting facts and
when they checked another it was eye-opening for them to see that
'facts' come from a variety of resources.
Just an idea.
Connie Williams

On Jul 12, 2005, at 12:45 PM, Robert Eiffert wrote:

> There are a couple of specific pieces to note here (I posted a little
> bit about this on my blog); There really needs to be some discussion of
> how to evaluate, no mention of formally integrating research literacy
> skills into what could really be a fine piece of real purpose writing.
>
> It is important that student researchers understand the need for and
> how
> to apply a critical application of evaluative skills.
>
> It would be an interesting experiment to have  a group work up an
> article based on a specific piece of classroom study and specific
> interests (say - early inhabitants or european exploration of your
> state) with cites and signed with qualifications (Mrs. Smith's 8th
> grade
> Washington history class) and put it up as a new article and link to
> appropriate parts of what is there. The specificity of focus will add
> the body of knowledge in wikipedia. The teacher and librarian would
> have
> some background knowledge that will help in helping student researchers
> evaluate resources. The narrowness of focus helps improve the writing
> and would help limit later editors to those with some expertise in the
> topic.
>
> Robert Eiffert
> Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
> pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu