I have had requests for a hit on my request  for opinions about the
appropriateness of HP 6 for elementary libraries. Very  interestingly the responses
are
VERY equally divided among the yes, plan to  purchase (4); no do not plan to
purchase (5); and wait for reviews, discussion,  reading before deciding (5).
A couple of those responding were interested in my  decision. I think I will
fall into the wait and see catagory - especially since  I have a new school
culture with which to become acquainted. I did not include  names of respondents
but here is what they have to say.
I am a K-4 librarian.  I am  planning on buying the book in less than one
hour for my library.  However,  before I put the book on the shelves, I am going
to read it – then look for  online reviews.  Then based on that, I will decide
whether to put it on the  shelf or not.
Right now, I am expecting  to.  I have Book 5 on the library shelf and did
not receive any  complaints.  Usually, the parents let me know if they do not
want their  children to take out Harry.
I haven't ordered it for my  elementary library yet, I thought I would read
my copy and decide if it is  appropriate for the elementary.
If they can read it, they definately  should have a copy to borrow.
No I do not think they are  appropriate for K-3 and very few 4th graders.
I serve 600 k-5 and find the  vast majority do not finish any of the
Harry Potter books.  However,  they are circulated to the max.  I found
it a chore to finish the last  book, so am not reallly a fan.  They are
just darn long.  But I  ordered one hardback and will buy a couple of
paperbacks to meet the checkout  needs.  I am strict on not renewing them
unless they can keep me well  posted to where the are in the book, what
they have comprehended,  etc.
I am in a K-8 library, and will be  purchasing all of the Harry Potter books.
However, starting with Book 5,  they are marked with my young adult symbol,
and can only be checked out by  5-8 graders.  I would not put the later HP
books in a solely elementary  school library; I feel they are definitely
middle school level  books.
I will read it first  (beginning today) but will not buy it unless it  is
suitable.
We did not get the last book for our  K-5 library after I read it and found
it to be too dark for elem. school. My  assisstant also read it (she is also a
parent in my school with kids who wanted  to read it), and she, too felt it
was too dark for her kids. We are not getting  book 6 either as Harry is now in
high school, and if Rowlings follows the Good  vs. Evil Quest pattern it will
be a very dark book. I can hardly wait to read it  myself, but will not be
getting it for my school.
I am in a K-8 and Harry  is in my library. I will purchase the new book.
While the reading range is 5-7th  grade, I do have high achievers reading them. I
also have parents who sit and  read them with the students. Harry is a great
example of fantasy, something  we always try to identify--is this real??
#5 is fine for the shelf.  There  is more romance between Beezus and Ramona
than in Harry Potter.  I would  reserve judgement on #6 until I have read it.
He is getting  older!
I keep wondering THE SAME  thing--exactly how will Harry "find romance" in
this book? My students are  really strong readers, and the neighborhood leans
toward the liberal.. so I  think they are expecting it... all I can do is read
it and see--or listen to  what others say...
I struggled with the decision to  include "order of Phoenix" in my grade
1-5 elementary library.  In the  end, I did not purchase it, but I did have
2 copies donated that I did  include in my collection.  I read it first and
found it harmless.   However, the only students who wanted to check it out
were 1st and 2nd  graders that can't read!  4th and 5th grade students
really had no  interest in it.  I have noticed that 4th and 5th grade
students enjoy  Harry Potter 1 and 2 with a few moving into #3.  #4 and #5
sit on the  shelf.
I have not pre-ordered #6.  I have my name on a waiting list at  the public
library.  I will read it and make a decision.  I'm not  planning on making
the purchase.  Harry Potter is 16 years old in this  book and J.K. Rowling
has stated that she writes for kids the same age as  Harry Potter.  Would
we put any other book with a 16-year-old main  character and written for
young adults in an elementary library?   Students like books with
characters a few years older, but a 10 year old and  a 16-year-old don't
have much in common.
I didn't let under 5th grade  check out number 4 or 5 in my K-8 library.
Because they had gotten darker and  darker. The parents bought them and I thought
that was fine . I would tell the  kids who asked that Harry had gotten older
and was doing more mature things that  really weren't appropriate for them yet.
But when they were in middle school  (6th grade) then they could read them
from the library. It satisfied the kids,  the parents who didn't want their kid
to read HP. Of course, my parents were  paying private school tuition and
could afford to buy each child a HP of their  own!
Absolutely will be buying it for my  elem library.