Not to take anything away from Jean Gustafson, I also faced a unique situation of
automation within a unique school.  When I arrived at the Oklahoma School for the
Blind in 1990, I was in "culture shock"--- not only was the school still using a
paper catalog, they had two paper catalogs.  One was a standard card catalog with
ONLY title and author author cards (you couldn't do a subject search) and a
"braille catalog"--a unique concept which meant that for every print card that was
typed, a larger 4x6 card was "brailled" for the blind to use the catalog. (More
than twice the work-- and virtually impossible for any librarian who did not know
braille...yet!)

I realized that technology was the ONLY way to equalize the playing field for these
students and wrote a grant to purchase the school's first (and still the only)
online catalog.  I received the system during the summer of 1991-- and since I was
the ONLY person / only librarian on the campus (and the only librarian serving a
school for the blind in the state)--- I began to individually catalog every item in
the library (that included braille, regular print, cassettes, large print,
magazines, braille writers, equipment, etc.).

I spent 10 years at the school and was the only person doing all of the library
programming and all of the cataloging.  When we finally obtained access to the
Internet in 1995, copy-cataloging became an invaluable resource to me and increased
my ability to catalog even more materials.

During this time also, the school made plans to implement a network system and
provided all classrooms with computers, including 5 computers in the library with
speech access for students to utilize the online catalog to search for materials.
In addition, the students were able to access the Internet and, because of
additional grants acquired, I was able to purchase online databases for students to
literally do online research from thousands of resources--- making our students as
competitive as their sighted peers in the area of library research for the first
time in the history of the school.

While it is difficult to initiate and work through the process of automation, I did
not realize (until I was looking back), that the task was an overwhelming process
that (if I had known then what I know now) I might not have attempted without
additional help.

I too, salute those libraries and librarians who are still working to become
automated.  Within schools such as those for the blind and deaf, this is a unique
situation that required forward thinking---understanding the adaptive technological
needs and the requirements necessary for upgrades in the future.

After receiving my MLIS, I left the school in 2000 to become an assistant professor
at Oklahoma State University.  When I reviewed my progress through printed reports,
I realized that I had actually handled (and cataloged) over 20,000 items (a braille
title counted as only one title, even though the braille book might contain 15
braille volumes).

I am certain that others out there face the same situation and understand the
magnitude of the process.  Luckily, I was about 15 years younger and extremely
motivated by a new challenge ahead; however, the initial hurdle is still
overwhelming for many.

My hope is that others find the resources necessary to make that hurdle and find
hope in the idea that others have done the "impossible" without much assistance.

Like the turtle...."slow and steady wins the race!"

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX