Thanks for all the different ideas! I have copied all thoughts into this letter.
Monika

I heard this at a meeting recently. The librarian takes the check and attaches it
to a purchase order for a replacement book. She requests that the money be used to
pay for the book. I don't know if she's got an official policy, but she said that
it's working.

When we charge for a lost book or are given money in honor of or memory of
someone for gift books, the money is deposited into a dedicated account
designated for the library, and the money must be spent only on books, since
that is what it was earmarked for. Other money deposited into my regular
account must be spent by the end of the school year or it is forfeited.

I collect all lost book money (and fines) and turn it into the office here at my
school.  The money is put into a library account where I can use the money to
replace books, buy books, buy videos, and buy library supplies.

Our school has student activity accounts, where they keep special
purpose money.  The library has two, an activity fund account, where lost
book monies are deposited, and a birthday book account, which is used by the
birthday book club to deposit donations for birthday books.  Birthday books
and replacement books are then ordered from these accounts.  Since they are
not "school" accounts, they do not have to be zeroed out at the end of the
year.

My district puts the fund in accounts (one per school)to replace the books,
as the librarian needs to spend it. I wouldn't work so hard to collect the $
if it didn't go back to the library!

We have a local fund that I have use of in order to deposit money for lost
books and use to purchase new materials. Check with your principal to see if
this is acceptable.

We have an activity account that holds all book fine money.  That way I can spend
it for anything library related!

We collect money for lost books, the approximate replacement cost plus a
service fee. (If the book is found and returned within a month or so we
refund the lost fee. All this goes into our book budget column--volunteers
run our overdues. Of course, many times the book is out of print or
otherwise unavailable, and occasionally we choose not to replace it. We are
a private school so I'm sure that makes a huge difference--far fewer layers
of bureaucracy. But the idea is the same.  Something that we considered
valuable enough to have has been lost and money was given to replace it. It
should belong to the library regardless of the state of the budget.

I can't tell if you are a high school or not, but here is what I do.  I work
in a K-12 district, and at the middle school and high school level we have
lots of clubs and classes that have fundraisers of one sort or another.
These monies are all run through something called the "Activity Fund", and
does not involve board dollars at all.  Such things as sports concessions go
into the junior class account, and then costs of the prom are deducted from
the junior account ( I know this well as I just had the "privilege" of
putting on this year's prom).  One of the "clubs" is the library club.  I
have no club, but I do have an account.  Any lost book money (I don't charge
fines) goes into this account.  I have total control over it, and use most
of it to buy books at the PTA book fair in the fall, or from one of the
vendors who leave books in the office for teachers to buy.  If a student
pays for a book, and later returns it, he gets his money back, also from
this account.  Although this "club" is a high school activity, all money I
receive K-12 goes through this account.  I also can use it to buy other
things like Christmas decorations, etc.  Most of it goes for books, though.
I hope this helps.  It never seems fair to me when I read about lost book or
fine money going into the general account.  The book was originally
purchased with library allocations from the board, or even from gifts from
PTA or whatever.  Why shouldn't the library get the money to replace them,
as the library is the one who is losing out.

I have an account set up just as all the clubs and sports activities do. When I
receive money from lost books, my book fairs, or donations,  it goes in my account.
I can use the money by submitting a receipt or a PO. It works wonderfully.

I actually have the same problem, but I have worked in other districts that
allowed  us to have an activity account for LB.  We could use it then to
replace the books.  I guess it depends on how your BO interprets the law.

With the same concern in our school district, a few years ago we discussed the
issue with budget-makers in our district and they added a line item to our library
budget section which reads lost book reimbursement.  This last year my item was
$100. It doesn't equal the amount we collected, but I take it in good faith for an
attempt to equalize the process.  The fact that there is now a line item might
guarantee the continuance of this process.

My school secretary set up a Library Fund.  Any money collected for
lost books goes into that account.  Money from the Book Fair goes into
the Library Account.  It helps me know how much I have to spend.  I use
the money in the account to order books, AR tests, incentives and
rewards, and repair supplies.  I have even used the money to purchase
AV supplies like OHP lamps, CDs, etc.

Instead of asking for money:
1. Ask the student to replace the book with a new copy (paperback would be
fine).
2. If a replacement isn't available, give to the library a copy of a book
that the library
already has (to make cataloging easier than a new marc record).
3. Only charge $1.00 for a lost book to instill responsibility and not worry
about
losing the funds to a general count.

When I collect money from students for lost books, I send it to the
Administration Office along with a purchase requisition and a book order
form (which I download from Titlewave) made out to Follett Library
Resources.  I include a note explaining that the student lost and paid for a
book, and this is the money to replace it.  (If I can't find the original
book, I order one similar to it.)

I sympathize but I find that in most districts that is the board policy
unless you can get the board to change it's policies

If you get good suggestions / answers, please post a
hit.  I have that same problem -- monies paid for lost
or damaged materials go to reduce the levies so I
cannot use them to replace materials.

My money for lost books and fines goes into an Activity account for the library.  I
am able to buy book replacements, new books, or supplies as needed with the money.

Why not just take the cash and go buy a replacement at the bookstore. Then catalog
it yourself?  Leave the Board out of it.

That's the way it's done in my K-8 school here in Alabama.  I often
assumed the money was "gone" at the end of the year.  Last year I found
that they were keeping the money in a special line item so I could
replace the books.

Annoying isn't it?  My school has an activity account where our money goes. Each
club has their own account and the main account is overseen by a teacher.  The
money gets deposited in there and then we can get checks written for things we want
to buy.

My school started skimming off some of the summer fine money.  I give them my
overdues and the fines and in the end, I would get the books but the money going
into my account never really matched up with what it should be.  I think they were
putting into the larger Activity Account for other things. So, now I don't hold
report cards for fines anymore. The office collects no money at all, unless the
student lost the book and they have to pay for it.  I leave the fines for me to
collect.  They have to pay to get their caps and gowns so I know I wii get the cash
eventually, even if it takes 3 years to get it.  It is what I have to do to keep
the library's money with the library and not with whatever else they were doing
with it!

Our school policy is that I am given the money to replace the books that were lost.
If this were not the case, I would be tempted to be more lax about trying to
collect the money

At our school, the kids pay in cash and I definitely use it to replace
lost & damaged books.  After all, that's what it's for, and why it's
called the "replacement cost!"

All the money collected from lost books in my school goes into a Library
Activity Account.  The $s in that account are used directly by me for a
variety of things... Chess Club, Book Club, or Library Club.  Sometimes
the money is spent on books to directly replace, but other times the
money goes for Book Club books or even pizza for a Chess Tournament.

Our campuses each have what is called a "Student Activity Account." My money
is deposited in that and the secretary keeps track of how much is in the
"library account." I use it as petty cash to purchase prizes, refreshments,
etc. We also have a book vendor that comes every other month or so and I can
use the money to buy books from him. I turn in receipts for things like this
and they reimburse me from that account.

At my elementary school, we have just such an account.  It is where monies
paid for lost or damaged books are deposited, and I have it at my disposal
to use to buy replacements, either of the same book or one that I choose to
take its place in case the book is no longer available, etc.  I do always
keep a reserve balance of about $50 for the times when books are found,
returned and the money needs to be refunded.

Best thing is to see if they are taking any refunds out of your
accounts.  If they are, then you'd better scream for the deposits.

Also, talk to your building secretary and find out what is happening.
They might be able to pull some strings for you, sharing the money or
something

I have both school SYSTEM and school media accounts.
Lost book money goes into my school account, not the
general fund in the school system.  The school account
is administered by me, the building secretary and
principal. It is, of course, subject to audit at any
time and original receipts are kept for books replaced
and other materials turned in.  Book Fair profits also
go into this account and I am expected to pay for
special library events and awards/rewards (book marks,
Dr. Seuss night programming materials, new books we
just can't wait to get), out of this account.  I have
worked at three different schools in three different
states and have had the same  process at each school

Ours goes into the campus activity fund in the area designated for the
library and is recorded. We refund it if the book is returned and we
still have records. I keep records as well as the office. I can use
these funds for books.

When I worked in NYC, the bookkeeper set up a separate bank account which I
never touched. When I left after 3 years, it was put into the school fund.
The principal was thrilled as it was over $300.

In my current school, I keep records as well as any cash given to us. Since
we have a policy of refunds for books returned later in good condition, I
often have to repay the money. All checks are given to the office and when a
check refund is necessary, the secretaries are NOT happy.

I use the cash as a slush fund and purchase many more books than are paid
for. We keep a record of books bought by me on our automated system in case
anyone asks. In 16 years, no one has.

I have a separate account that is a library fund. All money from fines. lost books,
book fair, PTO donations etc go in to this and are available for my use only. I
write a voucher and they issue the check. This would take a major change of policy,
but that money should definitely be earmarked to replace your lost book. Perhaps
you can print out a report of lost books and prices and send that to your district
office. That money was originally library money and shouldn't be lost to you.

Monika Sisbarro, librarian
Forked River School
Forked River, NJ 08731
fmsisbarro@comcast.net