The ones that I think made differences in the lives of others / the world through
some pivotal point in their own lives are:

Ryan White-- through his life experience and AIDS, he helped to bridge the fear and
help us to better understand the disease and those who have / had it

Mattie Stepanek-- who through his poetry, we learned about a young man who was
wise-beyond-his-years and came to understand his disease, muscular dystrophy before
his untimely death.

Maya Angelou--- through her life experiences and her pivotal points (there seemed
to have been many), she inspired a generation through her writings and her
revelation of what it meant to be a Southern black child / woman caught up in a
harsh, white world.

Princess Diana-- I don't think she realized the impact she would make on the world
during her life and even afterwards....while she had controversy surrounding her
life, her work with children and harsh conditions, as well as her warmness toward
the entire world during turmoil in her own life, is still inspirational.

Bill Gates--- how can a geek change the world?  Follow the example of Bill
Gates...I don't think he thought he'd make the impact he'd make until it was right
in front of him...and he's still making a world-wide impact (as I sit before this
wireless laptop).

John Nash--- (the brillant mind behind the book / movie "A Beautiful Mind")---
although he had a serious mental disorder, this man's genius changed the
mathematical world (Nobel Prize winner).

Helen Keller-- her parents were content to let her be a wild child, but through her
work with another great person to change the world....

Annie Sullivan --- the two of them plowed through the preconceived idea that the
blind / deaf / mute were useless to society.  How many blind / deaf / mute (or
others) walked with Presidents, inventors, and Kings?  Wow!  What an inspiration!

I'll think of others, I'm sure...but maybe this will start the list!

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX