Thank to all of you who responded, and I hope that this list will help you as well!

1.)  COMPanion Corporation has a portable barcode scanner. I don't know if it would
work with other systems besides the Alexandria system, but I'm guessing it would.
You can check it out at the web site at www.goalexandria.com

I have a Palm from COMPanion that is programmed for scanning books. I use it for
Inventory and can use it for signing out books if the system ever went down.

2.)   I use the ATHENA In-Hand unit for my inventory and it is very good.  It is
easy to use and it is worth the expense.

3.)  We just bought the portable memory scanner from idrecall.
http://idrecall.com/scanners.html  So far it is great--had learned of it from
others on the spectrum and LM_Net lists

4.)  Wichita Library Media Services (curriculum office) invested in 16 labtops for
our 100 sites to use for inventory.  We also had 50 ft and 100 ft network cords
made for our librarians' use.  They can check out a laptop and cord or just the
cord is they have their own laptop.  They put the laptop on a rolling cart and go
to work.  It is much cheaper than the portable scanners.

Leanna Giesige, Librarian
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
library@iso.bf