I must admit that I have not read this entire thread, but I would be very put
off if my child's librarian called me at 6:30 am.  I would never look for the
book and I felt I needed to comment.

I totally agree with Paula.  Threats and early morning phone calls are not
the way to endear parents to our program  I feel the books belong to the
children not the librarian.  I work in an Elementary school and I have seen one
librarian bring children to tears grilling them about overdues.  Chill out!  I know
that with some of my students, I will never see some of those books again -
what am I supposed to do- never let that child take out a book again?  No way..
 They get a gentle reminder from me and after 3 weeks a note goes home.
Sometimes  the book will come in and sometimes not. I ask for payment of the cover
price not an inflated one.

With some of the lives these children have it is a wonder they get themselves
to school, let alone a library book.

Rose Ann Heilemann, SLMS
Errick Road Elementary School
716-215-3251