According to my professor of Mexican history at the UNAM (Universidad
Nacional Autonima de Mexico) the French planned to sweep through Mexico
and open a supply route to the Confederate states through Texas, thus
neutralizing the Union blockade of Confederate ports.  The French would
supply money, arms, and other supplies to the south, most likely
changing the outcome of the war.  The Mexican resistance was so much
stronger than anticipated, as evidenced by the humiliating defeat of the
French at Puebla, that the French had their hands full just holding on
to Mexico.  So (according to this professor) we in the U.S. owe Mexico
big time (unless of course you lament the Union victory).

So raise that Tecate, face south, and say gracias!
----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury