Dear LM_NET

We have just graduated another senior class here at Weslaco East High School
and I thought I would share with you our most original "Why I can't turn in
my library materials" scenario.   At my high school, we check out Texas
Instrument calculators to all our upper level math students at the beginning
of the school year and expect them to return the same calculator at the end
of the school year- seems simple, but as we all know high school students
can complicate even the simplest of plans.   For the sake of our story, we
will call this student Johnny.  Johnny lost his calculator at the end of the
03-04 school year and we had pleasantly harassed him throughout the 04-05
school year to bring it back or pay $90 for its replacement.  Johnny finally
admitted to having lost the calculator and offered to replace the calculator
via a pawn shop purchase.  He came into the library with the pawn shop
calculator and the pawn shop receipt showing he had purchased the item for
about $40.  Great savings for Johnny? Maybe.  Only this story, as all
interesting stories do, has an interesting twist.  This calculator was the
original calculator that Johnny had checked out during the 03-04 school year
(we sneaky librarians had recorded the serial number).   Poor Johnny- he
thought he would make a buck pawning his school calculator, only to expose
his thievery by buying back the exact same calculator he had pawned the
previous year. LOL.  This story should qualify for that TV show, World's
Dumbest Criminals?   Do any of you have fun end of the school year stories
to share?

Thank You,

Renee Dyer
Weslaco East High School