-----Original Message-----
"Help!  My high school principal (small school, approx. 400 students) has
asked me to come up with some ideas for encouraging high school students to
read in their leisure time.  Does anyone have any ideas that they would be
willing to share with me?...Our elementary and intermediate schools (g K-5)
have been using the AR program.  I would also be interested in anything that
is working on the jh level.  Thanks in advance."

I did a research paper for an MLIS class last year on motivating
kids--especially junior and senior high--to read.  Almost everything that I
read said that the most effective tool is setting aside time in the school
day for everyone to read--and everyone means EVERYone, including teachers,
principal, clerical and janitorial staff.  This time can be as short as 15
minutes. The only rules are that everyone must read (no schoolwork, grading
papers, etc.) and that no reports or tests are required on this material.
This time is just for fun reading.  There will always be students who
"forget" to bring something, so there should be some variety available in
the classroom for them to choose something.

My research showed that this one simple method results in more pleasure
reading outside of school, which in turn leads to higher test scores, better
comprehension, increased vocabulary, and better spelling.

Personally, I have a son who loved to read in elementary school.  When he
went to middle school and had so much assigned reading (much of which was
not his "cup of tea") he started to hate to read.  He complained that he was
never allowed to read what he wanted--even for book reports.  He loved
non-fiction, but that was not allowed (and he used to read way above his
grade level). He wouldn't even accept suggestions from me anymore. This
school year the entire district instituted SSR (Silent Sustained Reading),
15-20 minutes of free reading at the beginning of the school day.  I have my
reader back again!  In fact, since he is now given time to read what he
wishes, he is open to suggestions.  He recommends and passes on his books to
others, and discusses them with me.

I would be happy to pass along my bibliography if you would like it.

Tracey Luehrs
Newly graduated MLIS
St Catherine, St. Paul, MN
mimla@charter.net