I read the same article in LMC, and have decided to do something like it in
our elementary library, but modified somewhat. The kids to whom a bookstore
approach will appeal most are those kids who don't use the catalog to search
for books. So adding anything to the record, in my opinion, will be wasted
effort if winning browsers is the goal.

What we will undertake is to add genre stickers (Highsmith) to the book
spines and leave the books in place alphabetically. We will NOT put a label
on realistic fiction, the largest genre in the collection. Signs and lessons
will teach students how to use the labels, the differences in genres, etc.
We award backpack tags for reading 3 books in each genre, and the labels
will simplify the search.

This won't present a bookstore look, but kids who love mysteries can search
for the detective icon on the spine and locate books they prefer. This is a
less labor-intensive approach that is doable for me and workable for my
students.

Pat Miller, Librarian
Sue Creech Elementary
Katy, TX 77450
pmiller@academicplanet.com
author of *The Stretchy Library Lessons*
and the new *Collaborative Bridges* series