From: School Library Media & Network Communications on behalf of Mark Williams
Sent: Tue 11/22/2005 6:37 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Sony spyware and copyright

I have to disagree with Shonda here.  If Sony's spyware only
installed itself after someone attempted to copy the cd a fourth time
(for example), there might be a case for Sony's side of the
issue.  But the spyware installs the first time it is played on a
computer...on ANYONE's computer, regardless of their intent of
use.  That means that I, who in no way condones or participates in
copyright violations, have a piece of spyware installed on my
computer without my consent or control. Sony's statement that, in
effect, "I was warned" by the EULA is specious.... the EULA is only
visible after I open the cd and remove the liner booklet; and that
action means that for most retailers, I cannot return the cd for a
refund if I choose not to use the cd.  I can only get a replacement
copy of the same disc (and therefore the same problem).  Sony's
statement that the software can be removed is disingenuous at
best.  The process of removal is anything but straightforward, and
requires the used to go through many steps over and above the process
of obtaining the removal directions from Sony.

I KNOW that music piracy is a serious problem for the industry; but
and renders it vulnerable to malicious attack by third parties is not
the way to solve the problem.

At 04:53 AM 11/22/2005, you wrote:
>I just had to laugh when I heard about the Sony Spyware / copyright
>situation (DRM software being installed on the Sony music
>CDs).  While I understand how problematic it would be to have the
>spyware downloaded onto a computer system to slow it down and
>eventually stop the entire system of those who copy CDs over and
>over (for whatever purpose)....I laughed because I thought it was a
>great idea of Sony's to "stick it" to those who continue to violate
>copyright and download music for re-distribution to others.

Mark Williams
Consulting Librarian
Professional Services for Conferences, Districts, Workshops
markwilliams@makaw.net
"The closest thing you will find to an orderly universe is a good library"