Dear LM_Net,

I've been off-line for the last 5 days so I haven't had a chance to see all
the Vent/AV messages until tonight.  I had this warm smile on my face as I
read through all these messages.

I did become a school librarian because of media; print, AV, and electronic.
I felt students need to understand how information is presented in its
different forms, and how each form has its strengths and weaknesses.  The
program I selected for my Master's Degree did a wonderful job of balancing
library and information science and instructional technology.  I'm a firm
believer that my job includes not only teaching students how to use print
and non-print materials, but be able to handle minor repairs in all formats.
So I handle all book repairs (including textbooks) until the book needs to
be sent to the bindery.  And I handle all AV and computer repairs.  When the
machine is beyond my expertise I sent it out for repair just like a book.

Though we have a teacher who handles computer technology in the building
most of the staff come to me first because I'm friendly and don't make them
feel like an idiot (yes, humor is a must).  When the problem is beyond me I
sent them to the technology teacher (who isn't very friendly).  I also
repair equipment in front of students, so they can see my job includes
technology and I'm an expert in using technology.  And when they are having
problems with technology I need my help I take the time to explain to them
why the technology works the way it does and what they can do to avoid
problems in the future.  Last year, I had a student look at me and ask why
couldn't I be her computer teacher because I explain how technology works
better than her classroom teacher.

What brought the smile to my face while reading these posts is the fact
these are the same issues I ran into while I was working on my Master's
Degree in the late 1970s.  Then the discussion was should libraries provide
non-print materials for its patrons.  The big issue was should libraries
house music and videos along with its print collection.  Many librarians
felt this was not their job and they would not want to be responsible for
maintaining these collections and repairing the equipment.  One of my
visiting professors put together his first AV collection together in 1919
and he was always amused at how librarians were still arguing over the same
issues for 50 years.

And when computers entered schools in the late 1970s and early 1980s some
librarians didn't feel computers belonged in the library let along be the
building expert in helping teachers incorporate this medium into their
classes.  Today, almost all school libraries are automated and librarians
take an active role in helping teachers use this technology.

I'm betting 30 years from now we'll still be debating (and venting) about
whether non-print technologies are either part of our job or not.

--
Peter G. Mohn, LMS
Snohomish Freshman Campus

"You live and learn.  Or you don't live long."  -- Heinlein