Here is the compilation of all the sites that I
received.  Thanks to all of you who helped with this!
Hope I didn't miss anyone!
www.mii.org

That's the Mineral Information Institute and it's got
lots of free
stuff available.

And:

http://education.usgs.gov/common/primary.htm#rocks

This is the USGS site.

Our Book Week focussed on rocks and minerals, so
you'll find some links
here
(scroll down) http://eatohillss.eq.edu.au/bookweek.htm
Trish

Here are some that might be of interest:

http://dmoz.org/Science/Earth_Sciences/Geology/Rocks_and_Minerals/

http://www.cln.org/themes/rocks_minerals.html

http://www.hpedsb.on.ca/sg/quinte/rocks_&_minerals.htm

http://www.lethsd.ab.ca/mmh/grade3/rocks.htm

http://oswego.org/staff/cchamber/resources/rocks.cfm

http://www.geologynet.com/dbases.htm

http://www.nearctica.com/geology/mineral/mineral.htm

These are the sites we used last year at our high
school:

Mineralogy Database
http://webmineral.com/
 4,339 individual mineral descriptions and image
library.

Amethyst Galleries Mineral Gallery
http://mineral.galleries.com/default.htm
 organized by name and by class; searchable

Athena Mineral Pictures
http://un2sg4.unige.ch/athena/mineral/images/minpic_frame0.html

Athena Mineralogy
http://un2sg4.unige.ch/athena/mineral/min_lists.html

Smithsonian Department of Mineral Sciences photographs
http://www.minerals.si.edu/images/gallery/gallery.htm

The hardness of minerals and rocks [web site]   Show
detailsSource:
Cordua, William S.
Audience:       Grade levels: g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9, g10,
g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.
to my list
 6.
A wonderful world of minerals [web site]        Show
detailsSource: David.
Audience:       Grade levels: g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9, g10,
g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.
my list
 7.
Department of Geology & Geophysics, University of
Alaska Fairbanks [web
site] : geologic time scale     Show details
Audience:       Grade levels: g5, g6, g7, g8, g9, g10, g11,
g12.
to my
list
 8.
Earth floor [web site] : cycles         Show details
Audience:       Grade levels: g3, g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9,
g10, g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.

 11.
RocksForKids [web site]         Show detailsSource: Elfi.
Audience:       Grade levels: g3, g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9,
g10, g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.
geotime.html Add to my list
 14.
USGS [web site] : U.S. Geological Survey : geology
Show detailsSource:
Geological Survey (U.S.)
Audience:       Grade levels: g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9, g10,
g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.
Add to
my list
 16.
Rocks and minerals [web site]   Show detailsSource: Ivy
Hall School.
Audience:       Materials for teachers, students.
Grade levels: g3, g4, g5, g6, g7, g8.
RocksandMinerals/rocks.html Add to my list

Rocky the Rock Hound [web site]         Show detailsSource:
Loogootee
Community Schools.
Audience:       Grade levels: g3, g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9,
g10, g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.
my list
 19.
The rainbow of gems [web site]  Show detailsSource:
Miller, John.
Audience:       Grade levels: g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9, g10,
g11, g12.
Materials for teachers, students.
Add
to my list

 21.
USGS [web site] : U.S. Geological Survey : rocks and
minerals        Show
details
Audience:       Materials for teachers, students.
Grade levels: g4, g5, g6, g7, g8, g9, g10, g11, g12.
Add
to my list

There are some great sites listed here:
http://www.ecb.org/surf/geology.htm  The Surf Report
is always a good
resource.
Kathy Schrock is also always a great resource and has
some sites here:
http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/sci-tech/scies.html

www.mindat.org is " the largest mineral database and
mineralogical reference website on the internet. This
site contains worldwide data on minerals, mineral
localities and other mineralogical information."
according to the website.

This is a pretty good one:
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/RocksandMinerals/rocks.html

I have some on my rocks and minerals webquest. I
researched a lot of
sites
for this.

http://www.mikids.com/wq/Rocks.htm

DK Publishing is putting out a new series of books
called e.guides, one
of
them is rock and minerals and you use
http://www.rockandmineral.dke-guides.com/ with the
book.  I think you
could
navigate it without the book and get a lot of info.

Vicki Builta
East Side Middle School
Anderson, IN
www.esmslibrary.com