Mark Williams wrote:

> No publicly-funded school has an 'obligation' to service students of
> parents who have voluntarily sent their children to private schools.

Actually, what is and is not required varies state by state. In one
state, public schools were required to transport private school kids to
and from the private school, and were required to go up to five miles
outside of their own district for that purpose. In another state public
schools are prohibited from providing ANY service to private school
students - even though Federal law requires the public school to provide
special ed services to those students. In some states home-schooled
students may participate in music and sports in the public school, while
that is forbidden in others.

Personally, I have no problem working with those who live in our
district but do not attend our school using some of my materials AS LONG
AS that use does not interfere with our students. I am a bit saddened by
the antagonism I sometimes see between public and private schools. We
are ALL in the business of educating the children entrusted to us. Many
of you are in locations where parents actually can choose between public
and private schools. If you want a family to choose your public school
over the private school they are now attending, which will be more
effective in enticing them to make the switch: a negative attitude
toward their current school, or a positive attitude?

We who teach in public schools are not automatically entitled to every
school-age child. Parents choose whether to send their children to the
public or private school, or even teach them at home. They make that
choice based on what THEY see is best for their children. If we have an
unfriendly attitude toward others that will be reflected in what they
think (and say) about us. When we ask for a levy increase, we need the
support of everyone in the community. Those who choose not to avail
themselves of the public school's services still get to vote on the
taxes they pay to support us. Are they likely to support us if we treat
them as second-class citizens?

We librarians generally have a reputation for being helpful to everyone.
Why not be helpful to our neighbors in another school?

--
David Lininger, kb0zke,
MS/HS librarian