I was once a librarian in a private school and while our collection was the
envy of many public schools in the area, there were areas of media service
we simply couldn't offer because of being one small school (technology,
database subscriptions, etc). The public schools in that county allowed us
to check out videos from their central library and often allowed us to
borrow other materials that were beyond our scope of collection development
but useful to one or two projects. I would have been happy to reciprocate
with the public schools. Is it the public schools' responsibility to share
with neighboring private schools? No, I don't think so... but it would be a
nice way to foster community spirit and help spread the idea that your
library is a welcoming space.
Perhaps, if you are concerned about budget issues, you could ask the private
school to get their parents/community involved in providing some materials
to your library. The school could really push "the golden rule" and help you
out. You could provide a wish list of books/materials you need and ask the
school to encourage families to donate some of those items in exchange for
their use of your facility. You could also create a form letter with a space
for parent signatures that explains the rules of replacing lost or damaged
materials to cover you in such cases. Just a thought. ssg