Thanks to all of you who responded to my request.  I received about 20 responses.
Except for one positive response all others indicated that they, too, did not put
it in their library or that it was not appropriate for their community.  On the
lighter side of things, the person who gave it a favorable addition to their
collection said it was checked out frequently - especially among young
men....hmmmm?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the hit:

I've read the whole book and loved it.  However, I wouldn't recommend

it to anyone other than juniors or seniors because of the graphic

content.  The students, especially male, who have read it love it.

I wouldn't buy that one for our small rural conservative district,

but then, I know I'm old.  I'll be interested to see if you get any

positive views.

I also had ordered the book last year after reading the highly

acclaimed reviews for the graphic novel, which I am trying to purchase

more of.  But, I was slightly disturbed with the content and the

illustrations.  Not only the masturbation scene, but the discussions on

religion made me question the book for  our 9-12 grade school.  I

donated it to the public library.

No you are not getting too old.  I had interlibrary loaned this book

and found that it was not something to add to the library.

Although the message was very good the graphics were a little too

much for me.  I could just see the line of parents coming to the

school complaining.  There are other books out there that are just

as good if not better without all of the "details".

This is the problem I have had with many graphic novels (and graphic

non-fiction) -- things that would not be objectionable in words have a

much more "in-your-face" attitude and less individualize-able impact

when illustrated.  Illustrating some things, I think, actually nfringes

on the freedom of the reader by removing the individual's freedom to

form images or not according to personal preference and experience. I

think it has less to do with getting old and more to do with how actively one
reads.  I, personally, also usually prefer the book to the

movie because I get to form the images in my mind instead of having

someone else dictate what the characters and location look like! Just my opinion,
of course...

I would be interested in what you find out.  I had purchased it for my

MS and had gotten done processing it -- while I was stamping it I ran

across the more interesting pictures.  Needless to to say it went into

the dumpster.

No, Billie, you're not getting old.  I get so upset trying to find quality books
for 6-12 grades.  I read some

of the books or excerpts and wonder what they were thinking.  Kids see enough of
this on TV

without reinforcing it in print form.  I realize these are issues they deal with
but can't we give

them some positive reinforcement too?  Just my soapbox.

I also ordered "Blankets" last year because it was on a recommended list. I also
looked through the book and decided that my small, very conservative community
would probably not receive this book very well, even though the story line is
pretty good. It's still sitting in my office.... No, I don't think you're getting
old. I think you have to look at your community of library users and decide what
they'll be receptive to or not. It's different when something is written and when

it's shown in pictures. Not too much left for the imagination.

I also bought Blankets on the rave reviews it received.  I have real

mixed feelings about it. It is sitting on my desk, along with the

storyof the Trojan War--A thousand ships & Sacrifice.  (sigh)

Also, my age???

I wanted to buy Blankets for my high school library two years ago,

but I also had to decline it because of the graphics.  It's one

thing to read about something controversial, it's quite another to

see it depicted graphically, I think.

Ouch!  Gross!  No, you're not getting too old!  I wouldn't have that

inmy library.  And you can forget 'freedom of speech' advocates on

thisone - it's unnecessary.  Just my 2 cents worth.

No, you are not getting too old.  Some things are just not socially

acceptable and don't need to be "advertised."

We currently have a graphic book at our other high school that is being

challenged - look out for "Brooklyn Dreams."