I'm working with my high school advisees and the topic that seemed to come up
throughout a recent parent-teacher conference was "study skills"--- teaching
students how to take notes, study for tests, summarize lengthy paragraphs, skim,
scan, review, etc.

If anyone has any recommendations for books, websites, or programs that could help
in these areas, I'd appreciate the information.  I am compiling things here but I
know that we don't have the latest materials that might be available to help the
students.

Since I work with these students only once a week for about 20 minutes, I wanted to
compile a "Time Saver / Tip of the Week" for high school students---showing them
ways to make their lives easier as they begin their adventure in high school
(they're freshmen) and make sure that they can adapt to college when that time
comes.  I don't want to add more work to their load but rather offer them
suggestions based upon what they're doing in class---for example, "Romeo and
Juliet" is being studied, so I might suggest using the online database "Literature
Resource Center" to gain some insights into the play and what elements might be
discussed by the teacher (by scanning the critical reviews).

If you have suggestions, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.  I'll post a
HIT and provide you links to some of the websites / resources that I develop for
this group on my website as soon as I can get them created!

Thanks!!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian