Hello everyone!  Sorry for the delay on sharing the "HIT"- computer issues
made me think I had lost everything but fortunately that is not the case!
Please scroll down to read my original "TARGET" request.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for your many responses!  I have learned so much from
all of you.

Basically most folks want to stay open to meet the needs of the students but
there are many reasons this is not possible.  This is often accomplished by
sacrificing one's lunch or planning time if volunteers or an assistant are
unavailable to the LMS.  Here is a general breakdown of the responses I
received:

CLOSED because:
1 - The LMS is alone and there is no one there to relieve him/her to go to
the bathroom, eat lunch, prep for lessons, regroup,etc.
2 - The LMS and/or assistant have others duties outside of the library such
as: lunch hall duty, lunch duty, supervising study hall & playground duty.
3 - This is the best time the LMS can meet with teachers/grade levels to
collaborate and plan future lessons.

Of those that were closed, the majority of respondents were on a fixed
schedule.

OPEN, and this is how we do it:
1 - The LMS and the assistant take turns so the desk is always covered ( but
this hinders the ability to discuss the day and plan future activities).
2 - The LMS and the clerk eat  during check out, lessons, and/or during
meetings that occur during their "lunch" time.
3 - Parent volunteers are trained to do checkout and cover while the LMS and
assistant eat their lunch uninterrupted.

Of those that were open, the majority of respondents were on a flex
schedule.

LUNCH?  what is that?
Several folks reported that it has been the practice for some time not to
take a lunch.  Each person had their own reasons for this, yet the tone
seemed to be that many felt they should be taking a small break to eat and
regroup but they could not see how to accomplish this at their school.

INTERESTING FIND:

Some of you shared that your arrival to being closed for lunch was due to a
change in schedule: where you once were open for lunch  AND on a flex
schedule, now due to administrative decisions (it seems) you were not a part
of, you are now on a fixed schedule AND closed for lunch.  In doing research
for my graduate course I have noticed  what seems to be a pull backward from
flex scheduling on the part of some administrators.  For those of you on a
flex schedule- what do you do to be an advocate for your program that keeps
your administrative team aware and supportive of ALL that you do to enhance
instruction?  (I should probably list this as another target but I was just
curious.)  Maybe by sharing what has been productive for some, it will help
others further demonstrate to their administrators the value of flex
scheduling and help them maintain their programs!

Thank you again for your time and expertise!  It was very enlightening!

Julie Profita
jprofita2@cavtel.net