I have a very large map of the US hanging in the front hallway, by the entrance to
my library. I am trying to copy an idea I saw some student teachers do a few eyars
ago - Reading Across America.
They wrote short biographical paragraphs about familiar authors. These were printed
on half sheets of paper, mounted on colorful construction paper, laminated, and
placed around the map.
I'm trying to do this - but I don't remember the authors they used. I would like to
have someone in the north, one in the south, one in the east, one in the west - or
close -
So far I have
Mercer Mayer - Arkansas
Judith Viorst - New Jersey
Berenstains - Philadelphia PA (we're about 20 miles south of Philadelphia)
Charles Schulz - Minnesota
Dav Pilkey - Oregon
Kevin Henkes - Wisconsin
Jan Brett - Massachusetts
Arnold Lobel - New York

Wile I don't want it to look too crowded, I would love to have a familiar one from
Florida, California, Maine or Vermont or New Hampshire. Maybe Arizona, Utah, or New
Mexico.
I keep coming up with names, search on Google, and read the bio, but can't find
anyone from those places I named. I should have kept a list of everyone I tried -
but I didn't. (Beverly Cleary is another one from Oregon, Laura Numeroff and
Maurice Sendak are from NYC, Paul Galdone the Ukraine, HA Rey Germany....)
Does anyone come to mind? I want to have it ready to laminate and post  for
Tuesday!!

And yes, please feel free to copy my idea.

Karen DeFrank, Librarian
Bullock School
Glassboro NJ
knarfed at comcast dot net