These are just a few of the suggestions I got but many were duplicates of
suggestions for books.  I had already forwarded suggestions to her when I  got
the request for the hit.  Hope I didn't leave out any favorites.

_http://www.benmikaelsen.com/_ (http://www.benmikaelsen.com/)

WILD TIMOTHY by Gary Blackwood
THE MAZE (and other titles) by Will  Hobbs

The Cay is much like Paulsen books. It is about a boy who  gets stranded on
an island with one other person after world war II

I highly recommend Will Hobbs' books for survivalist adventures, and they
often have good mysteries woven into the stories as well. Some of his better
survival titles are:
DOWNRIVER
RIVER THUNDER
FAR NORTH
WILD MAN  ISLAND

A Week in the Woods-Andrew Clements
Kensukes's Kingdom-? (not sure of the spelling of the title, and I  don't
have the book handy for the author.  Sorry)
Weasel-Cynthia DeFelice
Earthquake Terror-?
My Side of the Mountain-Jean Craighead George
Maniac Magee-Jerry Spinelli

He might enjoy books by Will Hobbs for wilderness survival.

There  are also books about survival after some sort of wide-spread
poilitcal or  medical disaster.  Jennifer Armstron has a great series of
books about a  group of children trying to survive in a world where all
the adults have died  from a virus.  The first book in the series is  The
Kindling.

There is another book about teenagers who go on a  camping trip and when
they return - a war has broken out and the adults in  their lives are now
captives.  The author is John Marsden.  The  first in the series is
"Tomorrow, when the war began".

There is s  terrific story of a young boy who must get help for his
injured father after  their small plane crashes on an African plain.  It
is called "The place  of lions." and is by Eric Campbell.

Iain Lawrence is another author that  he might enjoy.  The books are
historical - but have a strong survival  component.

Timothy Taylor is another choice.  I have not read his  books - but they
have been popular for many years.  The Cay is probably  the most popular.

There is another book that comes to mind.  I have  a hard time selling it
to my students.  I keep thinking that if I could  just get one kid to
read it - it would take off.  The book is by Nancy  Farmer and it is
called "The Scorpion".  Here is the description of the  book from my
catalog:  In a future where humans despise clones, Matt  enjoys special
status as the young clone of El Patron, the 142-year-old  leader of a
corrupt drug empire nestled between Mexico and the United  States."  To
tell you a bit more - Matt discovers why he recieves  special attention
and he tries to escape.  It is a real page turner, and  should appeal to
those who like a survival theme.

Will Hobbs' books are very popular with 7th and 8th grade boys.
Also...  Roland Smith -- Thunder Cave is wonderful and brings in an
international flare  to the survival mix.

He'd probably like "Hill's End" about a group of kids who have to survive
when a storm wipes out their town & the adults aren't there (Ivan  Southall).
And when I Googled to make sure I got the story right, it led  straight to
"http://www.neutralbay-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/library/bibsurv.htm" -  "Survival
Stories."

If he doesn't need the adventure elements,  "Dear Lola" is about six kids who
run away; from an orphanage as soon as one of  them turns 18 and survive in
the 'real world

Will Hobbs and  Ben Mikaelson (Touching Spirit Bear) are two that  come
immediately to mind.

Will Hobbs books would be a great next steps.  Also Pat McManus has  some
great and very funny books that my Eagle Scout brother (although he's in  his
50's - he's known as Peter Pan to the family) swears by.

Jeanna  Dennis, LMS
Valley Elementary School
Pelham,  Al
simon827@aol.com