Hi,
I have 79 e-books in my library collection.  They are used by our staff as
instructional/resource books.  I have not really introduced them to our
students as I purchased them specifically for instructional purposes.
We have mounted data projectors and over-size screens in all of our
classrooms.  The teacher can download the book (it automatically goes into
Adobe) and from there many different things can be done.  Views can be
manipulated to show it as a book, just one page or even a portion of a page.
The highlighter tool can be used to highlight text, the various conventions
of non-fiction, topic sentences, parts of speech, etc..  The dictionary tool
can be demonstrated, fonts can be manipulated; in short, many reading
strategies can taught using a trade book on the big screen.  Small group
instruction can also be done, and with a smart board there are interactive
activities.
We use Core Knowledge content at our school and sometimes it is difficult to
find reading texts that correlate well to the curriculum.  Using e- books
will allow the whole class to share in the reading of a particular text.  I
only have picture books, fiction and non-fiction, in the e-book collection
at this time.
In the kinder and 1st grades our teachers have used short phonemic and
rhyming sound books to teach reading skills.  They have used several of the
insect books to teach insect body parts and life cycle, and really prefer
using the projected e-books to big books.  Our third grade teachers loved
using the Brian Cleary e-books (Words are Categorical series) to teach the
various parts of speech, and other English language devices.  Even our 5th
grade teachers have been excited about them.
When I ordered the e-books I offered a staff development on their use, and
have since had to repeat the class since there was so much interest.
Vicki Krebsbach, Librarian
Wilderness Oak Elementary, NEISD
San Antonio, TX