Fairytale Take Offs

Babette Cole has many books

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munch

Mary Ann Hoberman * You Read to Me, I'll Read to You:  very short fairy tales to
read together

Little Red Ridin' in the Hood: and other Cuentos' by Patricia Santos
Marcantonio and Renato Alarcao is a compilation of classic fairy tales with
a Latino twist.  For example, in Jaime and Gabriela (Hansel and Gretel), the
witch's house that they come upon is made of pan dulce with steaming hot
tamales for a roof.  In Juan and the Pinto Bean Stalk, the giant says "Ay yi
yi yo, I smell the blood of a lazy niņo!".

There is a book called, Leaping Beauty and other Animal Fairy Tales by Gregory
Maguire and Chris L. Demarest, which is full of take offs.

Three cool kids (Emberley)

Sidney Rella and the glass sneaker (Myers)

Goldie and the three bears  (Stanley)

Giant and the beanstalk (Stanley)

Ruby (Emberley)

Wolf who cried boy (Hartman)

Where's the big bad wolf? (Christelow)

Brave little seamstress (Osborne)

Sleeping ugly (Yolen)

Three little wolves and the big bad pig (Trivizas)

Rumpelstiltskin's daughter (Stanley)

Cinder Edna (Jackson)

Cinder-Elly (Minters)

Frog Prince Continued (Scieszka)

Principal's new clothes (Calmenson)

Tales form the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird, Vivian Vande Veolde's

My book on one-person puppetry includes 38 original fairy tale take-offs presented
as puppetry scripts. It is One-Person Puppetry Streamlined and Simplified published
last year by ALA. Yvonne Amar Frey,

The Princess and the Pizza by Mary Jane Auch
Beware the storybook wolves by Lauren Child
Who's afreaid of the big bad book by Lauren Child
And the dish ran away with the spoon by Jaent Stevens and Susie Stevens Crummel
(more nursery rhymes)
The Fairytale news by Colin Naughton
HUmpty-Dumpty Explodes by Kevin O'Malley (again nursery rhymes)
The Webfiles by Margie Palatini (also nursery rhymes)
Bad Boys by Margie Palatini
Earthquack by Margie Palatini

Margie Palatini did Bad Boys and Three Silly Billies.
Three Silly Girls Grubb by Ann Hassett.
The Giant and the Beanstalk by Diane Stanley.

Principal's new clothes ( I know, Emperor's new clothes is
technically not a fairy tale...)
Bubba, the cowboy prince by Ketterman
Cinder Edna by Jackson
Armadilly Chili by Ketterman ( little red hen)
Manana Iguana by  Paul (little red hen)
Gator Gumbo by Fleming (little red hen)
Cook-a-doodle dooby Stevens (little red hen)

Susan Voracek

Elementary/Middle School Librarian
Lincoln, AIS Buenos Aires
Tel: (54)(11)4794-9400