Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on fiction for reluctant readers from
the 11-14 year old age range. I I am ordering books for next year and would love
your input. I am especially looking for books that might appeal to 8th grade boys
(or both boys and girls). Teachers have been pleading that I try to include more
books that deal with the pressures of growing up in today's society, particularly
in urban areas. Topics such as peer-pressure, friendship, broken homes, abuse (the
kids are really interested in this topic), sports, self-esteem, dealing with the
death of friends, not fitting in, and whatever else you might suggest seem to be
popular among these teens. My school is culturally and economically diverse, with a
large Hispanic, West Asian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, and  African American
population. We have students who live in the nearby Projects as well as students
whose parents own their own businesses. Many of the students are first generation
Ame!
 ricans.

I find that it is much more difficult to find high interest books for the boys. If
possible, I'd like to get them interested in books that deal with topics other than
sports, but if you know of a top-notch sports book that touches on other important
themes, I'd be interested. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Joanne Khoury
Teacher-Librarian
IS 10 JHS
Queens, New York 11103