Hi there!

I am going to be presenting a demo lesson as part of the interview process
for a High School-level SLMS job in New York.  Since I am meeting with the
12th graders at the very beginning of the research process (they are getting
their assignments the same week I am meeting with them), I have decided
present a lesson on the Big 6 steps of the research process (a brief
overview to get them on the right track) and on using Boolean Logic for
internet searches, since it is highly probable that is where they will
begin.

My question is this...I have 40 minutes to present and I already have a
quick, hands-on group demonstration planned to illustrate the Boolean
connectors (AND< OR< NOT)...do I also need to have some time set aside for
group work/cooperative learning?  I am thinking that since I don't know
these students, am giving them their introduction to research and have only
40 minutes, that group work might be too much.  But I also know groupwork is
big right now.  I am planning on the group demonstration and having an
interactive lesson (asking the students many questions and ideas as I go
along), rather than straight lecture.  Would I be remiss in not including
groupwork in the lesson?

any and all advice will be greatly appreciated

thanks!

Rachel Mathieu-Leo
IHM School
Scarsdale, NY