LM_NET Community,
I have been in the middle school library for 13 years.
 For the last 2 years, due to lay-offs, the high
school librarian and I have each closed our libraries
for part of the week to cover an elementary library.
The positions are supposed to be re-configured this
year, secondary and elementary.  I would take the
secondary.  We are also moving into a new high school
right now.  I have 2 questions for this great
knowledge pool.
1.  We began moving books from old to new HS this
week.  There are not enough shelves!  With some
reconfiguring (trading tall periodical shelving for
short reference shelving) and some very heavy weeding,
we should be able to make it work.  The former HS
librarian says she has weeded all she could.  I've
done some pretty ruthless weeding in the MS, so as I
shelve very old books with dust still on the top I can
see a lot of potential for weeding.  Two World Book
sets, both 20th century.  A 20+ year old Britannica.
Little Women and other classics with dust on the top.
Should I go in and be ruthless, or leave books
unpacked until I can more slowly make room?
2.  For anyone who has moved from middle school to
high school, or does both: how different will
scheduling and assisting students be?  Any things in
particular I should be aware of?  (I've read the
discussions of HS students not reading fiction unless
they have to, and that is echoed by the former HS
librarian and former HS library tech (who I hope will
be opposite me, so both building libraries can be open
all day, every day.)

Barbara Strack, Librarian
Orchard View Schools
Muskegon, MI