Thanks for so many wonderful suggestions!  She will be thrilled!!
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale (Newbery Honor Award)
"Sand Dollar Summer"
Vive La Paris by Esme Raji Codell
The Book of One Hundred Truths by Julie Schumacher
Hugging the Rock by Susan Taylor Brown
Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Park
The Crazy Man by Pamela Porter
Broken Sky by Wooding
The Knightscares series by Anthony
Wizard series by Duane
Emily Rodda series books (Rowan of Rin, Dragons of Deltora, Deltora
         Quest, Fairy Realm)
Dave Luckett fantasy books (one is The girl, the apprentice and the
        dogs of iron)
Bruce Coville's Unicorn books
Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Lasky
Dark is Rising series by Cooper
Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief and The Sea of Monsters
Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief series
Endymion Spring
Tamara Pierce books
Jacky Faber books
Warrior series by Erin Hunter
Margaret Haddix books
Bridge to Terabithia – K. Patterson
The miraculous journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo
Shannon Hale's Bayern series (The Goose Girl, Enna Burning)

Molly Moon by Georgia Byng,
The Book of Story Beginnings by Kristin Kladstrup,
Changeling by Delia Sherman,
Midnight for Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo,
Children of the Lamp series by P.B. Karr

Realistic Fiction: That Girl Lucy Moon by Amy Timberlake,
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall,
Sammy Keyes series by Wendelin Van Draanen (mystery)

Classics:
The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper,
Children of Green Knowe series by L.M. Boston,
Half-Magic and others by Edward Eager,
The Saturdays and sequels by Elizabeth Enright,
the Vesper Holly series (begins with The Illyria Adventure) and the
Prydain series (beginning w/the Book of Three) by Lloyd Alexander,
the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (beginning with Dealing with Dragons) by
Patricia Wrede.

Possibly too old for her but still worth a try is L.A. Meyer's Bloody Jack
series
Neal Shusterman books that are based on fairy tales:
Duckling Ugly and Red Rider's Hood.

Maureen Mooney, LMS
Caroline Street School
Saratoga Springs, NY