Thanks to all for the responses.  I'm sorry the links I provided didn't seem
to work.  Here is a link that works with more info about Amazon.com
corporate accounts:

http://www.amazon.com/corporate

On this same page, you will see a link to info about "library processing."

I did not receive any responses from anyone who has used Amazon's library
processing service - if you have used it and are reading this message (even
if it's in the future!), I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

Thanks again!

Susan Eley, Hillside Elementary School librarian

Mt. Laurel, NJ

Suebee17@aol.com

Original Question cut and pasted below:

I have two questions for you all. I am a newbie elementary school librarian
that has found this list to be an invaluable resource!

1) Amazon.com library processing

Has anyone used this? Pros/cons?

2) Using Amazon.Com for Purchase Orders / Amazon Corporate Account

I am investigating the possibility of having our district create an
Amazon.com corporate account so that we can order items using purchase
orders through Amazon.com.  Sometimes I just need cheap paperbacks without
all the associated costs tacked on by Follett, etc. (and yes, I know those
costs are for special binding and MARC records, etc.)

I've seen a few  posts on LM_Net about others using these accounts, but I'd
love to know more if you use this system.

Was the setup process difficult?  It seems not.  Was the system workable
with the slow-moving school purchase system?

If I get a lot of responses, I'll post a hit.

_______________________________________

We have a corporate account with Amazon.  It is wonderful for those things
you need tomorrow!!!

I am the contact person in the district, I add or subtract people who can
make purchases on the account and ALL orders are cc'ed to me.  I see what is
coming and going.

Each Teacher-Librarian has an account for their campus and the district
person we deal with can make purchases.

When setting up the account Amazon needed to have the person in charge of
all monies in the district sign the paperwork saying, Yes, we intend to pay
our bills."  Once that was mailed back, we were off and running.

I do not believe any of us use the library processing options.  Which
actually, until I read your e-mail didn't know they had available.

Orders come in, in dribbles and drabbles, hard to keep track of where you
are until the end.  Generally we do small orders, things we need promptly.
For most of the other things we want we use www.mackin.com free processing
and shipping and fill 95% of your order.  First things arriving in about 6
weeks, fully processed.

Jean

R. Jean Gustafson

Teacher/Librarian

Selah Jr. High

Selah, WA 98942

jeangustafson@selah.k12.wa.us

The processing of library books, is what slows down order fulfillment. This
year, I have created "open" purchase orders with traditional vendors, and
will submit orders online. If I want a book in a flash, and it is not
available from a local vendor I will likely order against my open PO and
specify no processing.

I tried the open PO thing a couple of years ago, and the paperwork
processing at that time created more headaches than it solved. I'm told the
bugs have been worked out.

John Lees

Mt. Baker Middle School Library

http://www.auburn.wednet.edu/mtbaker/Library/

 Hi Susan. I can't speak to Amazon's library processing or corporate
accounts, but I did want to let you know about how pleased my husband and I
have been with a personal Amazon credit card we have. When you earn 2500
points you get a $25 Amazon gift certificate, which has really helped since
we are both book lovers and I am taking graduate classes for SLIS. Also, you
get triple points when you order from Amazon with the account which helps us
to earn more points more quickly. Also really cool is the technology store.
We've purchased digital camera, camcorders, and other electronics devices
that could be used in the SLMC at a fraction of the cost for the same exact
product! As I said, I know nothing about the corporate services. But we have
been incredibly happy with our personal account through Amazon. Good luck :)

Jaclyn Griffith
Elementary ESL/IST and Librarian in Training
Reidenbaugh Elementary School

Lancaster, PA

Hi, Susan--

The link is not working...

I didn't realize Amazon was providing processing, and can't find anything on
their site pointing to this service.

As to the corporate account:

I set up one for the school where I last worked.

The problem was that the window between dates of ordering and receipt of
payment was too long and Amazon tacked on a dollar each cycle.

-Betty Rendino, Librarian (retired)

I always use traditional vendors for my regular orders of 40+ books, and
they provide my processing.  However, when I need a few new things quickly I
use local stores instead of Amazon, because paying Amazon isn't easy in my
district.  When I make these orders it is often 12 books or less.  I use
Destiny, the Follett web-based product, for circ and cataloging and it's so
easy to do my own when I just have a few books.

1) I wouldn't use Amazon processing.

2) I wouldn't purchase large orders from Amazon.

Hope this helps your questions.

I have used Amazon with a whole lot of luck.  Service is good..especially if
you tell them to send what they have instead of holding up the whole order
until they every title is available.

It is a wonderful source for music cd's.

Books are very fast. I do my own cataloging, so I don't know how their
cataloging is, but if like everything else, it ought to be wonderful.

The account is easy to set up. I don't remember it being a hassle.

 After you get your PO, just order via internet or fax.

We also use Ingram Books for paperbacks.  Real good discount.

Sheryl Mackey
Librarian
Clarksville High School
151 Richview Road
Clarksville, TN 37043
931-648-5690

Susan:

You'd get a much better deal on paperbacks (and many hardbacks) if you set
up a corporate account with Ingram.

http://www.ingramlibrary.com/

Their interface is amazing.  It incorporates lots of informaiton, although I
sitll have more to learn in using it.

Susie

shighley@aol.com

Indianapolis