I have recently been hired to open a new elementary school library and have heard
wonderful things about this website so I'm here asking for your help and
experience.   I have worked diligently all summer getting books ordered and the
room set up.  I am now to the point I really need to start thinking about what I
will be doing in a few weeks when the students show up.  I was wondering if any of
you  have any great ideas on how to introduce rules and procedures.  I will have
students filtering into this new school from three other schools.   I'm sure there
were different expectations from each of the three different schools they left.  I
know from classroom experience that the rules and procedures set forth the first
day of school pretty much sets the tone for the whole year.  However, as a
classroom teacher I had all day and really the whole first
week to get these procedures into place.  I will only have an half hour with each
class each week so I really need some clear cut expectations that you have found to
make your libraries run smoothly.  I would like to learn from your mistakes and not
my own.  Also, could anyone recommend a good book or website for lesson plans that
are fun and engaging as you teach library skills?  One more thing.  Our school
mascot is an owl.  Does anyone have some ideas on creating a theme in the library
surrounding the owl.  I've already decided to create a bulletin board from
something I just read from this site with the theme of introducing all the new
teachers using an owl and a tree with the theme "Look Whoooo's Hanging Out At Our
School."

Thanks so much already,
Karen Smith
Old Mill Elementary School