I started learning cataloging around the time QuickCard (Apple and
matrix printer) was out there. But we were taught that we may not have
so sophisticated a set up in our schools! Our college was building their
database records and was part of OCLC and the instructor was the head of
cataloging.

Every week 5 or 8 of us would get together to ponder that week's
assignments. We were positive that the instructor gave us the ones her
dept was having problems with, what with multiple authors, translations,
committee reports and conference proceedings, not to mention the picture
book with no illustrator, nome de plumes, and any thing else that
couldn't be figured out in less than an hour or two. We would have been
in heaven if we could have conference called the class in the uni up the
road, much less having IRC or even an email group to consult with.

I like the challenge of some of those questions. I'd bet we could have a
good discussion about

Q7 -"On an average, how many subject headings are recommended to be
assigned to sources in the school library catalog? Why? Include
documentation for your answer."

Granted, the text book and or Tag of the Month and a bit of good search
engine work could answer parts or all of most of these. But I'm evilly
thinking of sending the questions to the rest of the librarians in the
district to see how many can answer them off the top of their collective
heads. I'm not quite ready to drive down to school and pick up my
cataloging books over the weekend, but I'm sure I'll be looking through
them Monday.

Now, Q8 part 3 -" What will you do if you want to assign a subject
heading that is not in Sears or the Library of Congress Standards List?
What is subject authorization?

1. What MARC tag will you use?
2. Which indicator and subfield(s) are used?
3. How will you document your decisions and maintain a list of your
local subject headings? "

What with full text searching of our database and printout / reference
manuals, do you still write in added SH in your Sears?

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: www.beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net

Disagreement with dominant ideologies and moral codes is exactly what the principle
of free expression is designed to protect. We don’t need the First Amendment to
protect speech that offends nobody and agrees with conventional norms.
Marjorie Heins <http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0316-30.htm>