Hi, Leah,

Thanks for the link to the Texas Librarian site for
the fight against the 65% solution. It is sure not
just a Texas problem (Arizona, Ohio, Georgia,
Minnesota, Colorado, Louisiana have all adopted or
looked at it) and the information is very useful. And
the goal of the First Class Education organization
<www.firstclasseducation.org> is to get it adopted in
all 50 states, one at a time.

I'm going to forward it to Ann Dutton Ewbanks who is
chair of the AASL special taskforce on the 65%
solution. We need to help defeat the whole "solution"
but can fight the library issue in AASL and state
associations wherever it reers its ugly head.

I want one of those hats, Sara Johns

--- Leah Hawkins <leahleah@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

> I bought a baseball cap years ago that reads
> "Reading Coach"  (Demco, ALA, don't remember)  .   I
> always wear it on Hat Day.   Maybe I'll start
> wearing it everyday!  :-)    All school librarians
> should have one made at the mall - you know, the
> kiosk that embroiders hats - and wear them.
>
> on the 65% "solution"    this is NOT just a Texas
> problem.   there is a push for this to happen in
> EVERY state!!!    And every state that "accepts" and
> uses the NCES definition will NOT be including
> librariansin the 65% of expenditures!  if it has not
> yet happened in your state, you need to be aware and
> alert!
>
> some of the retired librarians and current
> librarians in my district formed a committee to get
> more information for ourselves, and to dispense that
> information to the public.   one retiree in
> particular  has worked long hours at putting
> together an informational website on this.  please
> visit it at http://geocities.com/txschlibrarian/
>
> --
> Leah Hawkins, Librarian
> Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD
> West Hurst Elementary
> Hurst, TX
> leahleah@comcast.net
>
> "It's no use going to school
> unless the library is your final destination."
> Ray Bradbury

> From: Deb Sherrod <dsherrod@BRS.CGRESD.NET>
>
> > Maybe we can start calling ourselves Library
> Coaches?
> >
> > D. Sherrod
> > Beaverton, MI

AASL Region II Director, Candidate for AASL President
Assciate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest
Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson